XUL video controls in e10s

Jared Wein

Dec 10, 2014, 10:39:19 PM12/10/14
to Firefox Dev, e10s...@mozilla.com
Greetings,

I have heard that with e10s there is no plan to support XUL within the content process. How does this affect the videocontrols (videocontrols.xml), which are currently implemented using XUL. Or is it OK since the XUL here is implemented as (native) anonymous content?

Is this something that will need to be rewritten in HTML? As it works today, I don't expect it is needed.

Thanks,
Jared

Jared Wein

Dec 11, 2014, 9:33:09 AM12/11/14
to George Wright, e10s...@mozilla.com, Firefox Dev
Ok, thanks for the clarification! :)

> On 2014-12-10 10:39 PM, Jared Wein wrote:
> > I have heard that with e10s there is no plan to support XUL within the
> > content process. How does this affect the videocontrols
> > (videocontrols.xml), which are currently implemented using XUL. Or is it
> > OK since the XUL here is implemented as (native) anonymous content?
> >
> > Is this something that will need to be rewritten in HTML? As it works
> > today, I don't expect it is needed.
> >

> I think we want to discourage the use of XUL within the content process,
> but the main issue which I think you're referring to is that we've
> mostly decided that popups can't really be supported within e10s in a
> good way. I think normal XUL content should be fine so long as no popups
> are used.

George Wright

Dec 11, 2014, 9:58:28 AM12/11/14
to Jared Wein, Firefox Dev, e10s...@mozilla.com