Firefox 36 crashes while debugging JS with FireBug 2.0.8

Owen

Mar 6, 2015, 2:47:34 PM3/6/15
to fir...@googlegroups.com
These FF crashes just started with FF 36. FB 2.0.8 was working with previous versions of FF.

They happen when stepping through JS and then switching pages or hard refreshes. It's unpredictable when they happen but FF crashes hard. I've also reported this as a FF bug.

I created a clean profile with FB as the only add-on.

I'm reporting it here before reporting this as a FB bug.

Dan Good

Mar 8, 2015, 3:00:22 AM3/8/15
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Using ff36.0.1 and firebug 2.0.8 I've been running into extremely slow browser behaviour and then some of the time having to stop the script - notes chrome://firebug/content/net/netPanel.js:1107

Hard to say but it seems worse if many tabs and several windows are open. Issue occurs more frequently when facebook is in several tabs. Having Google Analytics open makes it worse.

i.am.nec...@gmail.com

Mar 8, 2015, 2:09:22 PM3/8/15
to fir...@googlegroups.com
For me, Firefox 36.0.1 has not crashed but rather FireBug 2.08 starts acting unpredictably with respect to breakpoints.

If I am repeatedly editing JavaScript for a particular web page (web App), particularly if I am adding or removing lines, and have breakpoints set, they can get moved to other lines (and I don't think just a few up or down, based on what I have added or deleted).  I can remove the breakpoint from the breakpoints tab, or clicking it on the source line number to remove the breakpoint, but Firebug will continue to stop there.  Sometimes a reload of the web page will resolve the issue, but most of the time I have to do more to "reset"  Firebug to correct functionality.

It does not seem right to delete all breakpoints manually before I perform a web page reload, to then set them back up for debugging.

Eventually, Firebug will put a throbber where the breakpoint red dot would go next to the page number in the source listing.  It won't go away, even after waiting awhile.  If I reload the page, the breakpoint is there.

I can't say if this has just recently started happening with this Firefox/FireBug combination because this is the first time I have needed to use Firebug to debug Javascript since late November

Florent Fayolle

Mar 8, 2015, 2:47:16 PM3/8/15
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Could you try using Firebug with Firefox beta (v37) ? (Note that Firefox beta is IMO quite stable, I use it every day)
The latter includes some cache in their API for debugger source. It may help in your case.

If you see some improvements (or not) after upgrading your Firefox to beta, could you provide us a feedback?

Thanks in advance

Florent

Lawrence San

Mar 8, 2015, 3:49:41 PM3/8/15
to fir...@googlegroups.com
For me, Mac Firefox 36.0.1 has been crashing a lot even when I'm not using Firebug at all (i.e. FB is installed and "enabled" but not turned on for the current website). I uninstalled a different extension that I suspected and will see what happens. Maybe FF36 or 36.0.1 is just more fragile
​while juggling extensions in general? Is that possible?

Florent FAYOLLE

Mar 8, 2015, 4:11:51 PM3/8/15
to fir...@googlegroups.com
> while juggling extensions in general? Is that possible?

Yes, since extensions can have impacts in different ways on Firefox profiles.

Have you already tried this (this will remove your add-ons, you will have to reinstall them) ?
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/refresh-firefox-reset-add-ons-and-settings

Florent

Le 08/03/2015 20:48, Lawrence San a écrit :
For me, Mac Firefox 36.0.1 has been crashing a lot even when I'm not using Firebug at all (i.e. FB is installed and "enabled" but not turned on for the current website). I uninstalled a different extension that I suspected and will see what happens. Maybe FF36 or 36.0.1 is just more fragile
​while juggling extensions in general? Is that possible?

Florent Fayolle

Mar 8, 2015, 4:14:37 PM3/8/15
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Your issue looks like issue 7760 and issue 7762.

We don't have patch on these ones yet. We have to investigate on them.

Florent

dc dalton

Apr 7, 2015, 1:37:19 PM4/7/15
to fir...@googlegroups.com
I have started experiencing browser lock ups when using FB and Firefox, it seems the longer I work the worse it gets. Only thing that solves it is closing the browser (not wonderful when you are trying to work) and heaven help you go to Facebook.

I only run FB for one tab when working, it is deactivated for the other tabs but everything is effected

Sebastian Zartner

Apr 9, 2015, 5:44:36 PM4/9/15
to fir...@googlegroups.com
@dc dalton: Did it get better with Firefox 37.0.1 and Firebug 2.0.9?