ALL console logging (flog, console.log) is utterly broken

Ian Sebryk

Dec 1, 2016, 7:05:33 AM12/1/16
to Firebug
mmm...absolutely not thrilled with the snap-jerk change in Firebug at all.  now ALL of our console logs are failing to populate to this messed up new FF DevTools 'Console'; BOTH PHP and JavaScript.  has anyone either figure out how to get any of it running again or found a replacement that works with the FF devTools?  simple console.log doesn't show up, neither does good 'ol flog (firelogger).  how the chess-basted-hell are we supposed to develop without simple console messages?!? ffffuuuuuu.....

this kind of shit has seriously kicked us in the bellz.  not happy.  at all.  i really hope i am missing something simple here...  >:(

Sebastian Zartner

Dec 1, 2016, 12:42:39 PM12/1/16
to Firebug

First of all, please respect the rules of this discussion group and stop talking in such a rough language! People are more willing to answer you when you're not swearing.

console.log() and other Console API functions work pretty much the same as in Firebug. If they are not working for you, disable Firebug and reload the page. If that doesn't help, that may be something related to your profile settings or a conflict with an extension
First of all, check if the log messages are just hidden. You can do that by clicking the Logs button in the toolbar.

Note: The screenshot is made in Firefox Nightly. In Firefox 50 the toolbar looks a bit different.

If that doesn't show the messages and you just want to get rid of it, reset your profile. If you want to help others having the same problem, try to find the culprit by disabling all your extensions and checking whether that makes a difference. If yes, enable them one by one again and see which one is causing the log messages to break. If disabling the extensions doesn't make any difference, the issue is probably related to your settings. In that case you should make a backup of your prefs.js file within the folder of your profile and then reset the profile. If this fixes the bug, copy parts of your original prefs.js file back to the new prefs.js file to file the preference that makes the difference. (This is how I found the cause for a bug lately.)

Sebastian

Lawrence San

Dec 1, 2016, 9:45:20 PM12/1/16
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Another thing to check: make sure you're looking at the Web Console and not the Browser Console. They're similar looking but have different purposes. (The links are to the documentation for them.)

Also you may have to refresh the web page in order to repopulate the Console. I just discovered that it's not necessary to switch focus back to the web page -- the same "refresh" command can be used when the Console has focus. (Command-R on my Mac, so I assume Control-R on Windows.)