Where are useful features of firebug?

Ste Sic

Nov 28, 2016, 12:52:19 PM11/28/16
to Firebug
As I ask in the object, where are e.g. the very clever search of a tag by css classes?
Chrome Developer Toolbars has not yet this firebug utility. Why you cut this essential function for developers?

Why if I select a tag and I click "Inspect element" the cursor everytime start on body tag?
Why????

I lost a lot of time now for these new no-features.

I dislike the new firebug dev bar...bleah!

Please put back the firebug and let developers to choose which dev toolbar they could use.

Gregor Gonzalez

Nov 30, 2016, 7:54:37 AM11/30/16
to Firebug
*I know that feel bro*

I completely agree with you. This small things become a big problem.

I hope they start to improve their tools soon.

Sebastian Zartner

Nov 30, 2016, 9:47:47 AM11/30/16
to Firebug
On Monday, November 28, 2016 at 6:52:19 PM UTC+1, Ste Sic wrote:
As I ask in the object, where are e.g. the very clever search of a tag by css classes?

Chrome Developer Toolbars has not yet this firebug utility. Why you cut this essential function for developers?

If you mean the CSS selector search within the Inspector panel, that's already available in the Firefox DevTools (and also the Chrome DevTools). In both tools just press Ctrl+F to start searching and type your selector. The Firefox DevTools are even the smartest of the three because they show you a list with all available matching classes (or IDs):

Why if I select a tag and I click "Inspect element" the cursor everytime start on body tag?
Why????

I assume that is because the node view is first initialized with default values and after that the inspected element is processed. I agree that this is a bad UX, though I'm not a Firefox DevTools programmer. So, I suggest you file a bug for that.

Please put back the firebug and let developers to choose which dev toolbar they could use.

Firebug was mainly developed by volunteers (like me), which already left the project. So, I'm afraid, Firebug won't come back. Though if somebody is interested in reviving the project, the sources are on GitHub.

Sebastian

pd

Dec 8, 2016, 6:56:38 AM12/8/16
to Firebug

Please put back the firebug and let developers to choose which dev toolbar they could use.

Firebug was mainly developed by volunteers (like me), which already left the project. So, I'm afraid, Firebug won't come back. Though if somebody is interested in reviving the project, the sources are on GitHub.

Sebastian

Would you be willing to continue Firebug development, or at least maintenance, if you were paid, Sebastian? You've done a hugely valuable and great job keeping Firebug working for those of us who know it's superior to anything else out there. In fact, I've been using it continuously right up until now when I just noticed it doesn't seem to be detecting JS files any more.  I was under the impression it was going to be maintained until the new/native tools reached feature parity with Firebug. Does anyone believe new/native tools have actually reached Firebug feature parity yet?

Sebastian Zartner

Dec 17, 2016, 3:48:49 PM12/17/16
to Firebug
Sorry for the delayed answer! I was extremely busy the last few weeks.

On Thursday, December 8, 2016 at 12:56:38 PM UTC+1, pd wrote:
Please put back the firebug and let developers to choose which dev toolbar they could use.

Firebug was mainly developed by volunteers (like me), which already left the project. So, I'm afraid, Firebug won't come back. Though if somebody is interested in reviving the project, the sources are on GitHub.

Sebastian

You've done a hugely valuable and great job keeping Firebug working for those of us who know it's superior to anything else out there.

Thank you!

Would you be willing to continue Firebug development, or at least maintenance, if you were paid, Sebastian?

Short answer: No.
Long answer: Getting money for working on Firebug was never my goal. My primery goal was always to help other web developers.
The UI and website process separation in Firefox (aka e10s) would require to rewrite most of Firebug's code base. Doing so requires a whole team of people, not a single person. And to make it competitive against the other devtools again, it would require even more work. So, at this point in time it doesn't make sense for me anymore to continue working on Firebug. To me it makes more sense to help the Firefox DevTools to become as good as Firebug.

I was under the impression it was going to be maintained until the new/native tools reached feature parity with Firebug.

That's unfortunately not the case due to the reasons mentioned above. Though it was a goal to make a somewhat smooth transition. (Though I know that the transition could have been smoother.)

Does anyone believe new/native tools have actually reached Firebug feature parity yet?

No, they don't have feature parity yet. That's why bug 991806 is still open. Though many of the differences were already removed and the DevTools team will work on fixing more of those gaps the upcoming months. People willing to help them should contribute patches for the bugs blocking 991806.

While the last two years my focus moved to improving MDN, I'm still there helping Firebug users to move to the Firefox DevTools.

Sebastian

anu

Jan 17, 2017, 2:43:01 AM1/17/17
to Firebug
so is the new firebug and firepath feature on firefox50.1 does not work to show css and xpaths? i was trying to get the webelement loators through these but unable to do so. Also the bug image i dont see on the browser. I dont see the firepath dropdown to take xpath and css paths ..is this an issue with the latest firefox? which older version i can install where in these utilities work? kindly suggest.
WhyXpath and Css not seen ff50.1.docx

Sebastian Zartner

Jan 17, 2017, 4:28:56 PM1/17/17
to Firebug
Just for clarification, the "new Firebug" are actually the Firefox Developer Tools. FirePath does unfortunately not work with them. The CSS selector can still be copied via the context menu option Copy > CSS Selector. An option to copy the XPath is not implemented yet but requested in bug 987877.
Instead of the Firebug icon there is an option Developer in the Firefox menu (which can be moved to the browser toolbar via the customization option).

Sebastian

julien ramel

Jan 31, 2017, 12:02:43 PM1/31/17
to Firebug
Oh my god, this firebug is such an epic fail :(

I've been using it for so many years, each versions was bringing an improvement but this one is a true nightmare....

Sad end for such a beautiful tool

Sebastian Zartner

Jan 31, 2017, 12:41:43 PM1/31/17
to Firebug
Again, what you are seeing are the Firefox DevTools. There is no new version of Firebug.
Sure, the DevTools UI is not as good as Firebug's and they are missing several things Firebug had. But whining about the situation doesn't help anyone.
If you want to help the DevTools team to make their tools better, file bug reports about the things that you're missing and mark them as blockers of bug 991806 - of course only if they are not filed already.
And if you're feeling up to it, you can even contribute patches for those bugs. From my own experience, they are really welcoming and thankful for every contributor.

Sebastian

Mr Bird

Feb 1, 2017, 10:37:30 AM2/1/17
to Firebug
Seconded. Firebug was so useful. This is awful!

Mr Bird

Feb 1, 2017, 10:37:30 AM2/1/17
to Firebug
What happened to Firebug? Why are we seeing Firefox Dev Tools instead?

Erik Krause

Feb 1, 2017, 10:53:35 AM2/1/17
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Am 01.02.2017 um 15:08 schrieb Mr Bird:

> What happened to Firebug? Why are we seeing Firefox Dev Tools instead?

From >
https://blog.getfirebug.com/2016/06/07/unifying-firebug-firefox-devtools/

"Firebug 2 doesn’t work in multi-process browsers (i.e. e10s) and
converting it is too complex, so it will stop working when e10s is
activated in Firefox. You will be able to disable e10s for a while to
keep using Firebug 2, but this won’t last forever."

The devtools aren't really that bad. Here is a migration guide:
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Tools/Migrating_from_Firebug

If you miss specific things please add to the
"Suggestions for Firebug gaps to be closed by the DevTools" thread:
> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/firebug/Q6eyvGt6hyI/discussion

best
--
Erik Krause