Re: [firebug] Change speed of JavaScript and "Network" for testing?

Sebastian Zartner

Jan 30, 2015, 9:45:37 AM1/30/15
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lawrence,

I couldn't find your post in the Google Groups, so I'm replying via email.

What you're asking for is already reported as issue 4237 and issue 6182. The latter probably needs platform support, the former could probably be implemented with existing APIs.
I think the DevTools team is also planning to extend their Responsive Design View feature to emulate mobile browsing (including simulating bad network connections), though I couldn't find the related bug report.

Sebastian

On 29 January 2015 at 07:28, Lawrence San <lawre...@gmail.com> wrote:
​'m currently using Firebug 2.07 with Mac Firefox 34.

I'm trying to determine whether or not some complex code I'm working on has a race condition -- or, more broadly, whether the various dependencies have any timing problems. In addition to JS timers I'm using dom-ready type scripts a lot to prevent things from happening in the wrong sequence -- in fact I'm using three different "dom-ready" kind of utility functions -- onLoad, whenReady, and testForElms (that last one is my own).

Still, despite all these precautions, I don't feel I can test adequately because my normal development server (Apache) is actually running on the same machine as my browser (using MAMP). So the "network transit" is very short/quick. I suppose I could upload the stuff to the live server on the interwebs, but then since it's still under development I'd have to put it in the password-protected section, and that affects how timing and caching works, which is relevant to the code I'm writing. So I feel kind of stuck.

I know Firebug can show me timings (in the Net panel) and also has some profiling code I could insert, but I don't want to see timings. What I want is to _affect_ the timings without changing the code -- I mean slow down and speed up the way the JavaScript is parsed and executed. Can Firebug do this? That would be like simulating a slower or faster client computer. Also, can Firebug simulate a slower or faster "network connection" between the server and client? (I put it in quotes because, as I said, it's really on the same machine.)

Thanks much.​