Script is not loading

ed

Jan 31, 2014, 10:11:49 AM1/31/14
to fir...@googlegroups.com
I am running firefox esr 24.2.0 + firebug 1.12.6

Twice now in the last week firefox has stopped loading scripts, as if javascript is disabled, though about:config shows javascript.enabled=true
If I load a page with a <noscript> element, its content is displayed.
The network tab in firebug shows no script files being downloaded and the scripts tab says "No Javascript on this page"

The last time this happened, I created a new profile and the problem went away. I'm not positive, but I think firebug updated more recently than firefox (does anyone know how to find the update time of firefox and extensions?)

This morning everything was fine, until I changes firebug's console.logLimit and net.logLimit. I restarted firefox and have no scripts. Not sure if there's any cause and effect here, since the last time this happened is wasn't after updating preferences.

Has anyone else seen this issue?
Can you think of anything in firebug that would change firefox's behavior like this?
Any idea how to resolve it other than creating a new profile, which is a hassle as I lose a lot of customizations and history.

Sebastian Zartner

Feb 2, 2014, 7:21:40 PM2/2/14
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Twice now in the last week firefox has stopped loading scripts, as if javascript is disabled, though about:config shows javascript.enabled=true
Maybe it's some other extension that is blocking the JavaScript execution like NoScript? So does it also happen when you disable the other extensions?

I'm not positive, but I think firebug updated more recently than firefox
The last Firebug release was about two weeks ago while Firefox 24.2.0 is already out since the 10th of December.

does anyone know how to find the update time of firefox and extensions?
For Firefox you can see the update history via Firefox button > Help > Troubleshooting Information > Show Update History. I don't know if there's something similar for extensions, but you can get the history for each extension from addons.mozilla.org. For Firebug we're also creating a blog post everytime we make a release.

Any idea how to resolve it other than creating a new profile, which is a hassle as I lose a lot of customizations and history.
Note that Firefox also allows you to reset your profile through the Troubleshooting Information page, which will allow you to keep your history, bookmarks, saved passwords, etc. It resets the preferences and removes all extensions, though.
Anyway, I assume this is probably not needed in this case.

Sebastian

ed

Feb 3, 2014, 11:13:01 AM2/3/14
to fir...@googlegroups.com

On Sunday, February 2, 2014 7:21:40 PM UTC-5, Sebastian Zartner wrote:
Twice now in the last week firefox has stopped loading scripts, as if javascript is disabled, though about:config shows javascript.enabled=true
Maybe it's some other extension that is blocking the JavaScript execution like NoScript? So does it also happen when you disable the other extensions?
I'm only having this trouble in the profile I use for development where the only extensions installed are Firebug, Clear Cache, FiddlerHook (disabled) and Logitech SetPoint (disabled). I don't believe it's caused by an add-on.

I'm not positive, but I think firebug updated more recently than firefox
The last Firebug release was about two weeks ago while Firefox 24.2.0 is already out since the 10th of December.
This would point to Firebug as the culprit.

does anyone know how to find the update time of firefox and extensions?
For Firefox you can see the update history via Firefox button > Help > Troubleshooting Information > Show Update History. I don't know if there's something similar for extensions, but you can get the history for each extension from addons.mozilla.org. For Firebug we're also creating a blog post everytime we make a release.
The Firebug blog post doesn't  and addons.mozilla.org don't tell me when Firebug was updated in my browser, but I'm inclined to believe Firebug was updated after Firefox.

Any idea how to resolve it other than creating a new profile, which is a hassle as I lose a lot of customizations and history.
Note that Firefox also allows you to reset your profile through the Troubleshooting Information page, which will allow you to keep your history, bookmarks, saved passwords, etc. It resets the preferences and removes all extensions, though.
Anyway, I assume this is probably not needed in this case.
My Troubleshooting Information page does not include the Reset Firefox button. When was that added to Firefox?

Sebastian Zartner

Feb 4, 2014, 1:50:22 AM2/4/14
to fir...@googlegroups.com

Twice now in the last week firefox has stopped loading scripts, as if javascript is disabled, though about:config shows javascript.enabled=true
Maybe it's some other extension that is blocking the JavaScript execution like NoScript? So does it also happen when you disable the other extensions?
I'm only having this trouble in the profile I use for development where the only extensions installed are Firebug, Clear Cache, FiddlerHook (disabled) and Logitech SetPoint (disabled). I don't believe it's caused by an add-on.
Ok. Can you provide the URL where this happens and the steps you're doing, so I can try to reproduce that on my machine?

I'm not positive, but I think firebug updated more recently than firefox
The last Firebug release was about two weeks ago while Firefox 24.2.0 is already out since the 10th of December.
This would point to Firebug as the culprit.
It may also be a Firefox setting.

does anyone know how to find the update time of firefox and extensions?
For Firefox you can see the update history via Firefox button > Help > Troubleshooting Information > Show Update History. I don't know if there's something similar for extensions, but you can get the history for each extension from addons.mozilla.org. For Firebug we're also creating a blog post everytime we make a release.
The Firebug blog post doesn't  and addons.mozilla.org don't tell me when Firebug was updated in my browser, but I'm inclined to believe Firebug was updated after Firefox.
Right. AFAIK Firefox doesn't save the update history of extensions.

Any idea how to resolve it other than creating a new profile, which is a hassle as I lose a lot of customizations and history.
Note that Firefox also allows you to reset your profile through the Troubleshooting Information page, which will allow you to keep your history, bookmarks, saved passwords, etc. It resets the preferences and removes all extensions, though.
Anyway, I assume this is probably not needed in this case.
My Troubleshooting Information page does not include the Reset Firefox button. When was that added to Firefox?
Many versions ago. It seems you need to start Firefox without bypassing the Profile Manager. I also didn't see that button in my default profile, because I normally start it with the parameters -p default -no-remote.

For more troubleshooting you should follow the steps on our first aid page.

Sebastian

ed

Feb 4, 2014, 12:10:13 PM2/4/14
to fir...@googlegroups.com

On Tuesday, February 4, 2014 1:50:22 AM UTC-5, Sebastian Zartner wrote:

Twice now in the last week firefox has stopped loading scripts, as if javascript is disabled, though about:config shows javascript.enabled=true
Maybe it's some other extension that is blocking the JavaScript execution like NoScript? So does it also happen when you disable the other extensions?
I'm only having this trouble in the profile I use for development where the only extensions installed are Firebug, Clear Cache, FiddlerHook (disabled) and Logitech SetPoint (disabled). I don't believe it's caused by an add-on.
Ok. Can you provide the URL where this happens and the steps you're doing, so I can try to reproduce that on my machine?
If I could, I would. It's happened twice, and I can't think anything unusual that I was doing when it ahppened.

[...]

I read some more and found that you have to run firefox in the default profile to get the reset button. I also start firefox with similar parameters.

It seems like I'm the only one experiencing this issue, and I can't recreate it, so I guess we'll just let it go unless something changes.

Sebastian Zartner

Feb 5, 2014, 2:39:35 AM2/5/14
to fir...@googlegroups.com
I read some more and found that you have to run firefox in the default profile to get the reset button. I also start firefox with similar parameters.

It seems like I'm the only one experiencing this issue, and I can't recreate it, so I guess we'll just let it go unless something changes.
Ok, if you find some steps to reproduce, please let me know.

Sebastian

ed

Apr 4, 2014, 8:37:55 AM4/4/14
to fir...@googlegroups.com
I think I figured out what causes this. If I have Firebug stopped at a breakpoint and I close the browser, when I restert Firefox, script does not run and the <noscript> elements on the page are rendered, but if I look at about:cconfig, javascript.enabled is true. No amount of changing it from true -> false -> true, closing and restarting firefox fixes it. I have to create a new profile.

Sebastian Zartner

Apr 4, 2014, 6:54:07 PM4/4/14
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I'm still not able to reproduce this. I restarted the browser while the execution was halted at a breakpoint and the script was executed again after the browser restart and the contents within the <noscript> tag were not displayed.
While a new profile may fix this problem, the upcoming version 2.0 of Firebug incorporates a new debugging engine, which will probably also fix this. Though this new version will probably at least require Firefox 30 and the next ESR version is 31, so that still takes a bit.

Sebastian