Firebug 3 extensions, migrate extension from FB2 to FB3

C. Kitchin

May 11, 2015, 2:26:25 AM5/11/15
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Does FB3 alpha allow extensions?

Maybe a basic question, but it's not easy to search due to the keyword being "extension"!

I see some indication from the devs that extensions will have to extend Mozilla itself instead of extending FB? Not sure. There seems to be no guide for writing FB 3 extensions, though there is some mention of an API. No guide to migrating extensions from FB2 to FB3 as far as I can tell.

My particular issue is with the FormBug extension. That last time it was updated, a few years ago, the important line was:
var FormbugButtons = Firebug.chrome.$("fbFormbugButtons")

Jan Honza Odvarko

May 11, 2015, 5:33:16 AM5/11/15
to fir...@googlegroups.com, kitc...@gmail.com

On Monday, May 11, 2015 at 8:26:25 AM UTC+2, C. Kitchin wrote:
Does FB3 alpha allow extensions?

Maybe a basic question, but it's not easy to search due to the keyword being "extension"!

I see some indication from the devs that extensions will have to extend Mozilla itself instead of extending FB? Not sure. There seems to be no guide for writing FB 3 extensions, though there is some mention of an API. No guide to migrating extensions from FB2 to FB3 as far as I can tell.

Since Firefox has its own native developer tools now, it's more practical to build extensions directly for it (just like Firebug.next is also build on top of native developer tools).

Here are some links you might find useful:

* DevTools home page on MDN: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Tools
(see the Extending the DevTools section on the left side)

* Pixel Perefect architecture: http://www.softwareishard.com/blog/extension-architecture/pixel-perfect-2-developer-tool-extension-architecture/
(an existing extension architecture described in detail)

* Extending Developer Tools (video) https://archive.fosdem.org/2014/schedule/event/extending_firefox_developer_tools/
(presentation from FOSDEM)

 * RDP Inspector: https://github.com/firebug/rdp-inspector
(another extension built on top of native Firefox devtools)

My particular issue is with the FormBug extension. That last time it was updated, a few years ago, the important line was:
var FormbugButtons = Firebug.chrome.$("fbFormbugButtons")

Yep, the extension has been built for Firebug and should be migrated to native tools.

Honza