1.4: you have to manually reload the first time

John J Barton

Jul 4, 2009, 1:04:43 AM7/4/09
to Firebug
Blog post on 1.4 reload:
http://blog.getfirebug.com/?p=228

jjb

Maciej Jaros

Jul 4, 2009, 5:52:54 AM7/4/09
to fir...@googlegroups.com
John J Barton wrote:
Blog post on 1.4 reload:
http://blog.getfirebug.com/?p=228

I think the best way to avoid confusion would be to add a notice on all panels (elements) that are not really enabled. That is:
  • console panel
    • scripts command line/box (a notice when you push "Run")
    • profiler (a notice when you run it)
  • script panel
    • watching variables (a big notice in the middle)
    • stock (as above)
    • break points (as above)
  • net panel - I think this one alone is obvious that it needs reloading (but a notice to reload could still be visible so it would be more obvious ;-))

Regards,
Nux.

jigarashah

Jul 4, 2009, 5:57:04 AM7/4/09
to Firebug

Or may be some hidden preference for those who always use firebug for
those purposes only (Like me) :)

johnjbarton

Jul 4, 2009, 10:46:51 AM7/4/09
to Firebug
Yes we agree. Which is why the console, script, and net panels already
have notices on them. More below:

On Jul 4, 2:52 am, Maciej Jaros <e...@wp.pl> wrote:
>I think the best way to avoid confusion would be to add a notice on all panels (elements) that are not really enabled. That is:

Well if they are not enabled, then you should see the disabled
message. I guess you meant: "not enabled at load time".

> * console panel
> o scripts command line/box (a notice when you push "Run")

Focusing on the command line will load the console so no notice is
required.

> o profiler (a notice when you run it)

Not needed because the profiler will work if the console and script
panel are enabled.
(There is a bug: some times the console does allow you to press
Profile when it is disabled. )

> * script panel
> o watching variables (a big notice in the middle)

Not needed because if you can type into the Watch panel then it should
work.
> o stock (as above)

I guess you mean stack. Not needed because the stack has nothing to
show unless you have hit a breakpoint.

> o break points (as above)

Not needed because the panel functions fine.

> * net panel - I think this one alone is obvious that it needs reloading (but a notice to reload could still be visible so it would be more obvious ;-))

Already implemented.

jjb

johnjbarton

Jul 4, 2009, 10:47:29 AM7/4/09
to Firebug
What would the preference do and why would it be hidden?
jjb

Ernst de Haan

Jul 4, 2009, 2:25:02 PM7/4/09
to Firebug
> What would the preference do and why would it be hidden?

I don't think it should be hidden.

But basically there would be two exclusive options:
o 1.3
o 1.4/Steve's preference

perhaps the labels need some work, but that would basically be the
choice :)

Ernst

Maciej Jaros

Jul 4, 2009, 4:06:27 PM7/4/09
to fir...@googlegroups.com
johnjbarton wrote:
> Yes we agree. Which is why the console, script, and net panels already
> have notices on them. More below:
>
> On Jul 4, 2:52 am, Maciej Jaros <e...@wp.pl> wrote:
>
>> I think the best way to avoid confusion would be to add a notice on all panels (elements) that are not really enabled. That is:
>>
> Well if they are not enabled, then you should see the disabled
> message. I guess you meant: "not enabled at load time".
>
>> * console panel
>> o scripts command line/box (a notice when you push "Run")
>>
> Focusing on the command line will load the console so no notice is
> required.
>
> [cut]

After I open a page, open FB, close it and open it again I have the
script panel enabled and when I go to the command box and run it I get:
> Firebug cannot find firebugCommandLineAttached attribute on firebug
> console element, its too early for command line

Break points and watching variables doesn't work either (though when I
check panel status they are all enabled).

As for the net panel I only see "ActivationMessage", but I can see know
that it's because of lack of translation to Polish... I think
firebug.properties in Polish locale should be updated as in Babelzilla
all strings seem to be translated.

I use FF 3.5 and FB 1.4b4.

Regards,
Nux.

johnjbarton

Jul 5, 2009, 11:51:21 AM7/5/09
to Firebug

On Jul 4, 1:06 pm, Maciej Jaros <e...@wp.pl> wrote:
> After I open a page, open FB, close it and open it again I have the
> script panel enabled and when I go to the command box and run it I get:

> > Firebug cannot find firebugCommandLineAttached attribute on firebug
> > console element, its too early for command line

You need to specify the buttons you are pushing here, so that I can
understand the sequence of operations that you are using.

> Break points and watching variables doesn't work either (though when I
> check panel status they are all enabled).

If you have a lot of unusual problems then the most common cause are
interference from another extension or other profile-related problem.
Please try Firebug in a new profile, see
http://groups.google.com/group/firebug/web/faq-about-firebug.

If this does help please open a bug report with a test case.

> As for the net panel I only see "ActivationMessage", but I can see know
> that it's because of lack of translation to Polish... I think
> firebug.properties in Polish locale should be updated as in Babelzilla
> all strings seem to be translated.

We are trying to sync up with Babelzilla, it was down for a bit.

jjb

Trevan Richins

Jul 6, 2009, 1:16:30 PM7/6/09
to fir...@googlegroups.com
I've seen the issue that Maciej is talking about. Here's the sequence:

1 - Go to www.google.com
2 - Open firebug
3 - Refresh Page
4 - Type "new Date()"
5 - Works Fine
6 - Close firebug (by clicking the "X")
7 - Open firebug
8 - No indication that it is disabled
9 - Type "new Date()"
10 - Firebug cannot find firebugCommandLineAttached attribute on firebug console element, its too early for command line <div id="_firebugConsole" style="display: none;"> Window www.google.com

Maciej Jaros

Jul 8, 2009, 4:16:50 PM7/8/09
to fir...@googlegroups.com
johnjbarton wrote:

> On Jul 4, 1:06 pm, Maciej Jaros <e...@wp.pl> wrote:
>
>> After I open a page, open FB, close it and open it again I have the
>> script panel enabled and when I go to the command box and run it I get:

>>> Firebug cannot find firebugCommandLineAttached attribute on firebug
>>> console element, its too early for command line
>>>

> You need to specify the buttons you are pushing here, so that I can
> understand the sequence of operations that you are using.
>

>> Break points and watching variables doesn't work either (though when I
>> check panel status they are all enabled).
>>

> If you have a lot of unusual problems then the most common cause are
> interference from another extension or other profile-related problem.
> Please try Firebug in a new profile, see
> http://groups.google.com/group/firebug/web/faq-about-firebug.
>
> If this does help please open a bug report with a test case.

Sorry for the delay, the issue I was talking about is reported here:
http://code.google.com/p/fbug/issues/detail?id=2003

>> As for the net panel I only see "ActivationMessage", but I can see know
>> that it's because of lack of translation to Polish... I think
>> firebug.properties in Polish locale should be updated as in Babelzilla
>> all strings seem to be translated.
>>

> We are trying to sync up with Babelzilla, it was down for a bit.

I've send my translation to current translator, but maybe you could add
some fallback to English? Probably the easiest way for now would be to
simply add missing variables to all local firebug.properties, but maybe
there could some kind of mechanism to automatically check availability
of local variables and use en-US if local variable is not available.

Regards,
Nux.