Firebug console incredibly slow

AntranigBasman

Mar 16, 2012, 4:54:22 PM3/16/12
to Firebug
For the last several version of Firefox, I've noticed extremely bad
performance when sending logging messages to an open console in
Firebug using console.log(). I didn't notice exactly when they began,
but it could have been around the Firefox 8 or 9 era. Upgrading this
week to the lastest Firefox 11 and Firebug 1.9.1 doesn't improve the
issue, and neither does installing Firebug on an empty profile.

As an idea of the scale of the problems, a page which loads in a few
hundred ms with no logging, takes 5 seconds with about 80 logging
messages, and 30 seconds with a few hundred. This is sort of back in
the realms of performance of the IE8/9 console logger - and Chrome can
show both sets of logs in well under 1 second.

Has there been some huge regression in logging performance some time
within the last few months?

As mentioned above, I am using FF11 and FB 1.9.1, this is a Windows 7
machine with AMD 64, but colleagues have reported similar problems on
MacOS as well.

Thanks for any help,
Antranig.

Jan Honza Odvarko

Mar 16, 2012, 4:58:11 PM3/16/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Please try Firebug 1.10a5
http://getfirebug.com/releases/firebug/1.10/firebug-1.10.0a5.xpi

(it's an alpha, but pretty stable)

...and let us know whether is better.

Hozna

AntranigBasman

Mar 16, 2012, 5:12:37 PM3/16/12
to Firebug
Thanks, yes, the performance is hugely better, by at least 2 orders of
magnitude. Thanks so much for the pointer, and for your work on this.
Cheers,
Antranig.

On Mar 16, 2:58 pm, Jan Honza Odvarko <odva...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please try Firebug 1.10a5http://getfirebug.com/releases/firebug/1.10/firebug-1.10.0a5.xpi

Whittet

Mar 22, 2012, 12:49:27 PM3/22/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Firefox 11 is now producing slow messages for dojo and jquery 1.6.2.  Performance was fine in Firefox 10.

Sebo

Mar 26, 2012, 5:05:12 AM3/26/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Did you try Firebug 1.10a5 as Honza wrote?

tecfreak

Mar 27, 2012, 6:00:56 PM3/27/12
to Firebug
I have been experiencing very similar issues using FF11 and FB 1.9.1
and the minified version of jQuery 1.6.2... I upgraded to 1.10a5 and
didn't notice much of a difference. I was able to resolve the issues
by using the unminified of jQuery 1.6.2.. all newer versions of jQuery
also worked!

Jan Honza Odvarko

Mar 29, 2012, 6:56:31 AM3/29/12
to Firebug
On Mar 28, 12:00 am, tecfreak <p...@snap-interactive.com> wrote:
> I have been experiencing very similar issues using FF11 and FB 1.9.1
> and the minified version of jQuery 1.6.2... I upgraded to 1.10a5 and
> didn't notice much of a difference.
Could you please send me your test page so, I can also test this?
One related bug is supposed to be fixed in1.10a5

Thanks!
Honza

John

Mar 30, 2012, 4:17:51 PM3/30/12
to Firebug
I was having similar issues, switched to 1.10.0a5, and found immediate
improvement. Then when a certain kind of error occurred both Firebug
and the page performance became incredibly slow whether logging to the
console or not. I'm trying to pinpoint the error. Only way to clear
it is to restart Firefox. Using FF 11.0 and jQuery 1.7.1 minified. If
it happens again, I'll try tecfreak's idea -

John

Jan Honza Odvarko

Mar 31, 2012, 3:21:36 AM3/31/12
to Firebug
If you send me your test page so, I can see the problem on my machine
I'll fix it.

Honza

John Alexander

Mar 31, 2012, 1:06:26 PM3/31/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Page is password protected - could send privately if you wish

this line with incorrect syntax trying reference a datatable object causes the problem in jQuery 1.7.1 minified, but not in non-minified

var nTr = dtbl.fnSettings().aoData[ a[row] ].nTr; // this line causes firebug/firefox slowdow, must restart Firefox after to clear

John Alexander

home:  +1-604-736-8220
  cell:   +1-604-805-3364
france: +011-33-(0)6 63 89 99 64
email:  jal...@gmail.com

Jan Honza Odvarko

Apr 2, 2012, 9:00:17 AM4/2/12
to Firebug
On Mar 31, 7:06 pm, John Alexander <jale...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Page is password protected - could send privately if you wish
Great, yes please.
odvarko at gmail dot com
Honza

Lord Doomer

May 8, 2017, 1:51:57 AM5/8/17
to Firebug, amb26...@googlemail.com
I've had the very same issue for at least 4 years/ They don't fix it. Can't test my game with the firebug console in firefox lol. Gotta use some alternate tool in chrome sorry i used to like very much firebug but it seems to have an issue with chrome. Don't worry this is nothing compared to the challenges I face against mobile browsers.

Sebastian Zartner

May 8, 2017, 3:50:44 PM5/8/17
to Firebug, amb26...@googlemail.com
You have just excavated a five years old thread.

Note that Firebug is officially discontinued. Read more about that in the Mozilla Hacks blog. People are recommended to use the Firefox DevTools instead.

Sebastian