Karma runs Firefox without my installed Firebug on CentOS 7

david.karr

Jun 8, 2015, 5:02:53 PM6/8/15
to fir...@googlegroups.com
This is probably an issue with Firefox on CentOS, but I can't get any answers from any channels related to Firefox or CentOS, so perhaps I'll have more luck here.

In the past, I've worked with webapp builds using Karma on Windows, and I had no trouble running Karma from the command line with Firefox, so I could debug my unit tests with Firebug.

I'm now working on a build that runs on CentOS 7.  When I run Firefox manually, it shows the Firebug add-on.  When Karma runs Firefox, however, it seems to have none of the add-ons I've installed, like Firebug.  I'm able to hack around this a bit by simply leaving my regular Firefox instance running, ignoring the one that Karma starts, and manually connecting to localhost:9876.  I have to ignore the other instance, and not kill it, because Karma will just try to restart it.

I will do it this way if I have to, but I'd really rather just have the single Firefox instance running, just to save memory.

dmccunney

Jun 8, 2015, 5:37:21 PM6/8/15
to fir...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 5:02 PM, david.karr <davidmic...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm now working on a build that runs on CentOS 7. When I run Firefox
> manually, it shows the Firebug add-on. When Karma runs Firefox, however, it
> seems to have none of the add-ons I've installed, like Firebug. I'm able to
> hack around this a bit by simply leaving my regular Firefox instance
> running, ignoring the one that Karma starts, and manually connecting to
> localhost:9876. I have to ignore the other instance, and not kill it,
> because Karma will just try to restart it.

How does Karma run Firefox?

It sounds a lot like the instance of Firefox Karma is running is not
using the profile in which Firebug is installed. Addons like Firebug
install in your profile directory, not the browser directory, and the
browser must be using that profile to have them available.

If you leave the existing FF instance open it *can't* - the first
instance using a profile will lock it.

If Karma will let you do it, try invoking Firefox as "firefox -p
<profilename>", where profilename is the name of the one where Firebug
and other things are installed.
______
Dennis
https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519