Load time break down questions

Diana Jokic

May 11, 2016, 7:03:19 AM5/11/16
to Firebug
Hey everyone,

Firebug shows the load time for each request sent by the webpage in a timeline thing under "Net", and then"All". I have a few questions about this:

1) What is the blue line? What is the red line?
2) Sometimes there are grasps; time between requests where, according to firebug, nothing is happening. What causes this?
3) What is the onload time?

Thank you all!
question picture.PNG

Sebastian Zartner

May 11, 2016, 2:55:59 PM5/11/16
to Firebug
On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 1:03:19 PM UTC+2, Diana Jokic wrote:
Hey everyone,

Firebug shows the load time for each request sent by the webpage in a timeline thing under "Net", and then"All". I have a few questions about this:

1) What is the blue line? What is the red line?

Blue line: point in time where the DOMContentLoaded was triggered
Red line: point in time where the load event was triggered

The tooltip when hovering the requests tells you the time these events got triggered relative to the request start time.
See also https://getfirebug.com/wiki/index.php/Net_Panel#Timeline.

2) Sometimes there are grasps; time between requests where, according to firebug, nothing is happening. What causes this?

Parsing the HTML and dynamic requests done via JavaScript. See also http://stackoverflow.com/a/31347721/432681.

3) What is the onload time?

Time span since the first request started until the load event was triggered. See also https://getfirebug.com/wiki/index.php/Net_Panel#Request_summary.

Sebastian