can't seem to paste my firebug edits into custom css (in wordpress)

Tom Ashton

Jan 31, 2015, 1:13:10 PM1/31/15
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Hello folks

Would be great if you can lend a hand. I'm getting some great results in firebug, changing things exactly as I'd like them on a page. I admit I'm new to CSS and don't know a lot, but I have been able to identify selectors and then and paste edits to make permanent changes (on my Wordpress site). Problem is, it sometimes just doesn't seem to work.

E.g.

I have a unwanted white strip at the top of the page. Being lazy, i just changed the height to '0' in FB, and that had had the right effect, it vanished. In the CSS window I saw the following had changed, so copied it the Wordpress:

element.style {
    height: 0;
}

with no change, I then just did ctrl+A and copied everything in the CSS window. Again.. no cigar..

Thanks if you can help.

Tom

Christ van Willegen

Feb 1, 2015, 3:25:57 AM2/1/15
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 7:13 PM, Tom Ashton <tsas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> element.style {
> height: 0;
> }

You've only set the height of the specified element to 0, but haven't
indicated it by a selector.

So, find out the selector for the 'element' you'd like to set the
height of, and it will work in your CSS.

HTH!

Christ van Willegen
--
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Sebastian Zartner

Feb 2, 2015, 4:20:29 AM2/2/15
to fir...@googlegroups.com
On Sunday, February 1, 2015 at 9:25:57 AM UTC+1, Christ van Willegen wrote:
Hi,

On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 7:13 PM, Tom Ashton <tsas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> element.style {
>     height: 0;
> }

You've only set the height of the specified element to 0, but haven't
indicated it by a selector.

To clarify that further, the element.style rule is not actually a real CSS rule. Firebug only uses it to display all CSS styles defined within the style attribute of the element. This is also mentioned in the documentation to the Style side panel.

Sebastian

Tom Ashton

Feb 3, 2015, 1:08:21 PM2/3/15
to fir...@googlegroups.com
hi, thanks for these replies.

I only just discovered you'd replied so will have a go later.

looked up 'HTH' as well - found my answer here (!)

cheers I am somewhat clearer now.

BW
Tom