new firefox version(v16) has no DNS lookup and connecting delays

cui

Nov 8, 2012, 3:58:34 PM11/8/12
to firebug
Hi all,

    recently, I updated my firefox browser into newer version of 16.0. However, I found a strange behavior after the updating:

    By using firebug, when browsing a new page, I found firebug does not provide the DNS lookup time and connecting time correctly.

    Two examples are shown in the attachments for browsing google and mozilla pages. These pages are browsed with empty browsing history, so, at the beginning, there MUST be DNS lookup and connecting. But, instead, as seen from these figures, for the first few objects, Firebug report them with "Blocking" at first, and then, directly comes into "waiting".

    Could some of you have some better explanations for that? is it a bug in recent firefox? or some event not correctly triggered in firebug? should we report the bug somewhere else?

thanks very much

ps, I am using firebug version 1.10.6, and I tested with many PCs and network connection environment, it always like that when using version 16 of firefox.

best regards
cui

mozilla.jpg
google.jpg

Sebastian Zartner

Nov 14, 2012, 4:17:50 AM11/14/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com, Jan Odvarko
I can confirm this using FF 16.0.2 (fresh profile) + FB 1.10.6 on Win7. There I do see some milliseconds spent on DNS lookup and connection when accessing https://getfirebug.com after deleting the browser history and deactivating the browser cache. But when the browser cache is enabled, there's no time spent on DNS lookup and connecting.
Testing the same using FF 13.0.1 there's always some time spent on DNS lookup and connection. So to me this looks obviously like a change in the Firefox logic.
Honza, do you know of any change regarding this?

Sebastian

cui

Nov 15, 2012, 5:48:05 PM11/15/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sebastien

    Thanks very much for your news. Although I did not tested on Win.7 platform. I tested under some Linux PCs such as Fedora, Ubuntu, and also win.XP (ps, me and some of my other friends also see similar situations... :(   ).

    Sure, I definitely agree that when cache is enabled, the case may be reasonable. What I did before is also based on empty cache(e.g. always disable cache in Firefox)... and I found that, at the beginning(e.g. the 1st object query), instead of showing DNS, connections delays, it shows as "blocking", and then, directly change into "waiting"... so, I was feeling very strange.... :(

    I am suspecting newer version of firefox may change something which leads Firebug detecting those events sometimes not working well???

thanks very much for your reply
hope we can find some reasons to explain this.

best regards
cui

Adrian Yee

Nov 22, 2012, 3:51:35 PM11/22/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Is there a bug ticket for this? I tried with Firefox 17.0 and Firebug
1.10.6 on Linux with a fresh profile and it was sometimes okay (proper
timings), but mostly DNS and connection time got lumped into blocking time.

Trying older versions of Firefox, it looks like it works fine in 14.0.1,
but has been broken since 15.0.

Adrian

On 11/14/12 01:17, Sebastian Zartner wrote:
> I can confirm this using FF 16.0.2 (fresh profile) + FB 1.10.6 on Win7.
> There I do see some milliseconds spent on DNS lookup and connection when
> accessing https://getfirebug.com after deleting the browser history and
> deactivating the browser cache. But when the browser cache is enabled,
> there's no time spent on DNS lookup and connecting.
> Testing the same using FF 13.0.1 there's always some time spent on DNS
> lookup and connection. So to me this looks obviously like a change in
> the Firefox logic.
> Honza, do you know of any change regarding this?
>
> Sebastian
>

> On Thursday, November 8, 2012 9:58:47 PM UTC+1, webs wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> recently, I updated my firefox browser into newer version of
> 16.0. However, I found a strange behavior after the updating:
>
> By using firebug, when browsing a new page, I found firebug
> does *not *provide the DNS lookup time and connecting time *correctly*.
>
> Two examples are shown in the attachments for browsing google
> and mozilla pages. These pages are browsed with empty browsing
> history, so, at the beginning, there MUST be DNS lookup and
> connecting. But, instead, as seen from these figures, for the first
> few objects, Firebug report them with "Blocking" at first, and then,
> directly comes into "waiting".
>
> Could some of you have some better explanations for that? is it
> a bug in recent firefox? or some event not correctly triggered in
> firebug? should we report the bug somewhere else?
>
> thanks very much
>
> ps, I am using firebug version 1.10.6, and I tested with many PCs
> and network connection environment, it always like that when using
> version 16 of firefox.
>
> best regards
> cui

cui

Nov 24, 2012, 3:22:42 AM11/24/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Yes, yours are exactly the SAME with mine. older version <15.0 works perfect. But when trying 16.0, 17.0, Both of them show (most) DNS and connect time as block time (especially the first few objects).

I guess this should be a bug somewhere...

how could we report this bug to the correct place?

Hope the problem can be solved as soon as possible.
cui

2012/11/22 Adrian Yee <adr...@gt.net>

For more options, visit this group at
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/firebug

cui

Nov 26, 2012, 4:00:30 PM11/26/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

   Sorry that your previous mail does not contain anything on my side, not sure if there are some problems.

   Any comments for this issue?

thanks a lot
best
cui

2012/11/26 smiroff paulo guerra <smrino...@gmail.com>
comunidade

Sebastian Zartner

Apr 18, 2013, 1:24:28 AM4/18/13
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the long delay here. This behavior was reported to Bugzilla yesterday.

Sebastian