xPath 2.0 functions in FirePath

alvaro...@iesjoandaustria.org

Feb 13, 2017, 8:23:10 AM2/13/17
to Firebug
Hello!

Firstly I want to express my gratitude to the developers of this plugin, it helped me a lot during my professional developer experience to find the best Xpath for automation codes easily and clearly. Now I'm teaching and I want to continue using your wonderful tool in my firefox, but I've tried to apply it for xPath 2.0 expressions (with 'max', 'min', 'avg'... functions), but the plugin gives me the 'Invalid xPath' message.

I have searched information about these kind of xPath in the website, and I have found that the W3C have two different documents to explain the xPath syntax:

- One for xPath 1.0 (updated to october 2016)
- Another for xPath 2.0 (revised in april 2015)

After checked a lot of documentation, I have not found any clear explanation for that, wich one is the "official" and  mainly, why the plugin does not support the xpath 2.0 functions?

Please, if is possible, answer to me this question, or link to me the thread that speaks about that if previously it has been opened (sorry for open again).

Thank you very much!!!

Sebastian Zartner

Feb 15, 2017, 6:10:10 AM2/15/17
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alvaro,

I have several notes on this:
- FirePath bases its functionality on the Firefox APIs. I.e. the XPath features need to be implemented in Firefox in order to work. And the min(), max(), avg() are obviously not (yet) implemented in Firefox. You can always try out whether a XPath functionality is supported by a browser by using document.evaluate().
- This is the Firebug forum. The one of FirePath is here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/firepath.
- The newest XPath functions specification is obviously https://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-functions-3/.
- Firebug and FirePath are discontinued. Firebug users are advised to switch over to the Firefox DevTools instead. Unfortunately, the only XPath feature the DevTools currently provide is the $x() function within the command line, but more are requested. See bug 963933, bug 987877 and bug 1032855.

Best regards,

Sebastian