DOM Exploration - explore html element in DOM Panel - Show your own DOM additions

michael simpson

Feb 1, 2017, 2:06:38 PM2/1/17
to Firebug
Hi

I have just begun using the firebug themed firefox developer tools after an upgrade.

When I'm inspecting an html element the right click context menu gives me an option to "Show in DOM Panel"  but nothing happens when I click this and the DOM panel hasn't changed to show the properties of the chosen element.

Also it used to be really easy to see your own additions to the DOM  in firebug, since they were listed at the top of the DOM panel before built in objects and functions. This does not seem to be the case anymore?

I can only start to look at my custom additions if I console.log an element and then inspect it's properties

Am I missing how the Developer tools work or are these now unimplemented  parts of how  firebug used to work ?

Thanks

MIchael

Sebastian Zartner

Feb 2, 2017, 6:05:14 AM2/2/17
to Firebug
On Wednesday, February 1, 2017 at 8:06:38 PM UTC+1, michael simpson wrote:
When I'm inspecting an html element the right click context menu gives me an option to "Show in DOM Panel"  but nothing happens when I click this and the DOM panel hasn't changed to show the properties of the chosen element.

The option I see in the context menu is called Show DOM Properties and shows the properties within a side panel of the popup console:

Also it used to be really easy to see your own additions to the DOM  in firebug, since they were listed at the top of the DOM panel before built in objects and functions. This does not seem to be the case anymore?

You're right. They are strictly alphabetically sorted. Though there's already a bug report filed requesting to display the user-defined items first.

Sebastian

michael simpson

Feb 2, 2017, 8:47:10 AM2/2/17
to Firebug
Thanks for your assistance Sebastian,

"The option I see in the context menu is called Show DOM Properties and shows the properties within a side panel of the popup console:"

Unfortunately this is not working for me : the side panel to the console does not open when I click on the context menu option to Show Dom Properties, for some reason

Michael

Sebastian Zartner

Feb 2, 2017, 9:39:05 AM2/2/17
to Firebug
Are there errors in the Browser Console (Ctrl+Shift+J) after you clicked that option? Does this also happen in a new Firefox profile?
If not, it may be an issue with your preferences or with some add-on. You can either live with the issue, switch over to the new profile, reset your existing profile, or track down the issue with the steps below, so the DevTools team can fix it.
  1. Open the profile folders of your normal and the new profile via Firefox menu > ? > Troubleshooting Information > Open Folder.
  2. Close Firefox.
  3. Copy the prefs.js file from your normal profile to the new profile (careful: not the other way round, otherwise you overwrite all your preferences).
  4. Start Firefox using the new profile

If the issue also appears in your new profile now, then it's related to the preferences. You may further track down, which preference is causing it by only copying parts of the normal profile's prefs.js to the new one. Alternatively you could send me the prefs.js of your normal profile and I'd do it for you (but note that the file may contain private data).

If the issue does not appear in the new profile even after those steps, it's unrelated to the preferences, meaning it must be related to something else, e.g. some extension. In that case you could try to add all extensions to the new profile one by one and see if you can then reproduce the issue.

Sebastian

michael simpson

Feb 2, 2017, 11:01:07 AM2/2/17
to Firebug
The Issue is caused by the  FireQuery extension (version 2.0.4).

On clicking the Show DOM Properties in the inspector context menu whilst highlighting an html element the following error is consistently logged to the browser console:

TypeError: target is null[Learn More]  inspector-overlay.js:266:9

So now I can use Developer Tools as intended - Yay!!

Thanks for the walk through the trouble shooting process and for taking the time to help me in the disorientation of transition. FireBug will be sorely missed.

Michael

Sebastian Zartner

Feb 2, 2017, 12:47:42 PM2/2/17
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Great to hear I could help! It's good you found the culprit. It helps others facing the same problem.

Sebastian