Firebug starting Firefox Dev Tools?

Air Stream

Nov 17, 2016, 6:26:26 AM11/17/16
to Firebug
I do not know why, but since today Firefox loads when pressing the Firebug icon the Firefox development tool. When I hover over the Firebug icon I see "disabled" ... Where is the problem? I think the Firefox Dev Tool is inadequate and would like to use Firebug again ...
firebug1.jpg

Sebastian Zartner

Nov 17, 2016, 7:24:42 AM11/17/16
to Firebug
On Thursday, November 17, 2016 at 12:26:26 PM UTC+1, Air Stream wrote:
I do not know why, but since today Firefox loads when pressing the Firebug icon the Firefox development tool. When I hover over the Firebug icon I see "disabled" ... Where is the problem?

This is due to the change to multiple processes in Firefox. This change breaks Firebug and fixing it would have required huge changes, for which the resources were missing. So the decision was made to merge Firebug into the DevTools and to discontinue the development on the Firebug extension.

To get Firebug running again, you need to disable the multiple processes in Firefox.

I think the Firefox Dev Tool is inadequate and would like to use Firebug again ...

If you don't like some parts within the Firefox DevTools, They try to fix the differences to Firebug in bug 991806. And if you see something that is not covered yet, you should file a new bug.

Sebastian

David Gomez

Nov 17, 2016, 7:48:06 AM11/17/16
to Firebug
>you should file a new bug.

I disagree. Millions of people love Firebug. The DevTools should be the same as Firebug and then add new features. However we still do not have a decent tool to replace Firebug. Bugs that used to be solved in days now need weeks or months ...
This is a new Mozilla error

Sebastian Zartner

Nov 17, 2016, 9:12:30 AM11/17/16
to Firebug
On Thursday, November 17, 2016 at 1:48:06 PM UTC+1, David Gomez wrote:
>you should file a new bug.

I disagree. Millions of people love Firebug.

I do, too. Though that doesn't change the situation.

The DevTools should be the same as Firebug and then add new features.

I argued the same, though at that point Mozilla already decided to create separate tools.

However we still do not have a decent tool to replace Firebug. Bugs that used to be solved in days now need weeks or months ...

As far as I used the DevTools, that's an exaggeration. Again, if you have a use case or workflow that's not covered in the DevTools, you should tell it to the DevTools team. From my experience they mostly listen to their users.

Sebastian

Lawrence San

Nov 17, 2016, 1:07:20 PM11/17/16
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Sebastian said:

To get Firebug running again, you need to disable the multiple processes in Firefox.

I think the instructions on that page are outdated -- I can no longer find a checkbox like that in the Firefox preferences. It seems that now E10s gets enabled or disabled automatically, based on which extensions you have installed.

If you know of some other way of toggling it manually, I'd love to hear it. Thanks.

Erik Krause

Nov 17, 2016, 1:29:20 PM11/17/16
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Am 17.11.2016 um 19:06 schrieb Lawrence San:
> If you know of some other way of toggling it manually, I'd love to hear it.

See https://wiki.mozilla.org/Electrolysis#Firefox_Release (or above for
other release channels).

--
Erik Krause
http://www.erik-krause.de

Sz S

Nov 17, 2016, 1:36:51 PM11/17/16
to Firebug
You can come back to Firebug, all you need to do is to disable the multi-process functionality in firefox 48+. Follow the steps:
1. Type in URL bar: about:config. (Hit "I understand the risk", or something like that)
2. Type in the search bar: browser.tabs.remote.autostart
3. Set all values to false by double-clicking it.
Happy Firebugging :)

PS: Hope DevTools will became less buggy, and more comfortable, so we can use it in development, like it's title says. But till than, better use the old Firebug pal.

Mark M

Nov 18, 2016, 9:40:04 AM11/18/16
to Firebug
Thanks for your help with this a lot of automation testers use firebug, its nice they intergrated it , but no clear directions how to activate,  your post helps alot .   Xpath is needed for alot of tests

Sebastian Zartner

Nov 18, 2016, 7:38:34 PM11/18/16
to Firebug
Thank you, Sz S, for the steps describing how to reactivate Firebug.
Though note that the Script panel already doesn't work anymore in Firefox 50 and the mentioned preference will be removed at some point in the future. So, sooner or later people have to switch over to the DevTools.

On Friday, November 18, 2016 at 3:40:04 PM UTC+1, Mark M wrote:
Thanks for your help with this a lot of automation testers use firebug, its nice they intergrated it , but no clear directions how to activate,  your post helps alot .   Xpath is needed for alot of tests

XPaths can be tested using the $x() command. Unfortunately there is no integrated context menu option yet that copies the XPath of an element (see bug 987877), nor is there an advanced tool for the DevTools yet that helps creating XPaths. Though the extension XPath Checker may at least help with copying.

Sebastian

Suneth Kalhara

Nov 21, 2016, 6:29:06 AM11/21/16
to Firebug
It worked thanks a lot lot, the mozilla developer tool is buggy as chrome developer tool, firebug is the best one, i think everyone should report to mozilla to keep firebug and developer tools separate

Sebastian Zartner

Nov 21, 2016, 11:53:56 AM11/21/16
to Firebug
On Monday, November 21, 2016 at 12:29:06 PM UTC+1, Suneth Kalhara wrote:
It worked thanks a lot lot, the mozilla developer tool is buggy as chrome developer tool, firebug is the best one, i think everyone should report to mozilla to keep firebug and developer tools separate

Great to hear that you love Firebug. Though posting to Mozilla to keep Firebug a separate tool won't help, because Firebug was mostly developed by volunteers (like me). You have more chances to push the Mozilla DevTools to make them as great as Firebug.

For this reason I was asked at https://bugzil.la/991806#c15 to ask Firebug users what they miss most in the Firefox DevTools.
If you have some feature you are missing or that isn't as good as in Firebug, please post it at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/firebug/Q6eyvGt6hyI/discussion.
Please only post constructive comments!

Sebastian

Raphaël Amiot

Nov 29, 2016, 9:42:12 AM11/29/16
to Firebug
You can grab an older version of firefox at https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/ , be it only as a development machine. Remember to disable updates.

This is a compromise I am well willing to make for working dev tools!