"Break on all errors" doesn't work reliably

s...@mitre.org

Jan 15, 2016, 9:58:09 AM1/15/16
to Firebug
All -

For several months now, I've noticed that periodically, "Break on all errors" in the Console pane doesn't do anything for me. I press the button, then encounter an error in my code, and the error is printed to the console, but I don't get a breakpoint. This used to work reliably, and now works only occasionally (and I can't figure out the circumstances under which it does and doesn't work). Here's what did to try to figure this out so far:

- I removed Firebug
- I deleted every single config option in about:config that contains "firebug" in its name, restarted Firebug, and made sure they were gone
- I searched my Firefox profile for every single reference to Firebug in the various config files and removed anything suspicious by hand
- I reinstalled Firebug
- I went to about:config and checked to ensure that all the config options are set to their defaults. Possibly notable: the config option extensions.firebug.breakOnErrors is default and false; there are no config options that start extensions.firebug.DBG_BREAK...
- I went to a window that I know generates a Javascript error, and opened Firebug
- I returned to about:config, and observed that the config option extensions.firebug.DBG_BREAKONERROR is now present, and marked "user set" and "false"
- I enabled the Console and Script panels in Firebug
- I checked about:config again; neither of the options noted above has changed
- I enabled "Break on all errors" in the Console panel. Neither of the config options changes.
- I forced a Javascript error in my window; the error is printed to the console but no breakpoint is hit.
- I toggle both the config options by hand, repeat the procedure, get a new error in the console but no breakpoint.
- I return both configs to their default. DBG_BREAKONERROR disappears on reload of about:config. I return to my errorful window, enable "Break on all errors" again, same behavior.

Something's happening that I can't find, because after the error is printed, the "break on all errors" button turns itself off.

I'm on MacOS 10.10, if it makes a difference.

Help!

Sebastian Zartner

Jan 18, 2016, 2:36:16 AM1/18/16
to Firebug
I can reproduce this, so I filed issue 7985 including a test case.
Note that the guys behind Firebug are working on a new Firebug version, which is recreated from scratch and integrates into the built-in Firefox DevTools. So, I assume it's unlikely that they'll fix this bug in Firebug 2.

Sebastian

PS: You can easier confirm an error by creating a new profile as described on the first aid page.