What happened to the Edit button?

Sherry Sink

Nov 29, 2016, 9:42:20 AM11/29/16
to Firebug
What happened to the Edit button that was in the upper left corner of the firebug tools (next to the Pick an Element from the Page icon)? Why isn't that available in the new Firefox dev tools?

In the past, all I had to do was right-click on an item on a webpage and click Edit, and a blank box with just the HTML code for just that item / paragraph / div, etc. would display. From there I could make changes, add more code, and automatically see the changes added to the page so I could decide whether or not I wanted to make those changes. I could keep working and testing and seeing new changes without having to leave the edit box.

With this new Firefox dev tools, there is no edit button. I can right-click on a div within the Firefox dev tools and choose Edit as HTML but it only brings up a box within the code itself, instead of allowing me to see it separately. And when I make a change within the code itself, the changes don't show up on the page unless I exit out of the Edit as HTML box. Then the changes show up on the page. But to make more changes or make adjustments to the change I just tested, that means I have to then re-find the div tag or paragraph tag or whatever I changed and right-click all over again, in order to go back into the Edit as HTML box option. That's a gigantic pain, to have to go back in and out of the Edit box in order to see my test changes or make more changes. It's illogical. You've created extra steps and made testing much less efficient. It's very frustrating!

I want Firebug back, not these new Firefox tools. You're making my job harder, not easier.

Sebastian Zartner

Dec 1, 2016, 11:42:09 AM12/1/16
to Firebug
Not seeing the changes live while editing is indeed annoying and often requested. This is covered in bug 815464 and bug 1067318 and those are prioritized.

Sebastian