browser question

Sydney Anderson

Apr 10, 2017, 4:11:17 PM4/10/17
to Firebug
Is there a browser that works best with Firebug Lite? The website mentioned Firefox, is that the best one to use with Firebug Lite, or does it generally function at the same level with different browsers?

dmccunney

Apr 10, 2017, 5:16:01 PM4/10/17
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Firebug Lite has not been actively maintained or developed for some
time. There is simply no one to do it.

On Firefox itself, Firebug will soon longer work. It is not
compatible with the e10s multi-process model FF is shifting to, and
would require a ground up rewrite to work. The development resources
to do that don't exist. Attention has shifted the the built in Dev
Tools, with an open bug on the Firefox Bugzilla instance to list
things in Firebug and *not* in Dev Tools than should be added to Dev
Tools.

On Chrome, focus is on the corresponding Chrome Dev Tools. It used to
be possible to install Firebug Lite in Chrome, but I have no idea of
the current status.

Whether other browsers will support Firebug Lite at all is a "Try it and see".

Why do you specifically need Firebug Lite?
_____
Dennis
https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519

Sebastian Zartner

Apr 12, 2017, 5:04:52 AM4/12/17
to Firebug
On Monday, April 10, 2017 at 11:16:01 PM UTC+2, dmccunney wrote:
On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 4:11 PM, 'Sydney Anderson' via Firebug
<fir...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
> Is there a browser that works best with Firebug Lite? The website mentioned
> Firefox, is that the best one to use with Firebug Lite, or does it generally
> function at the same level with different browsers?

Firebug Lite has not been actively maintained or developed for some
time.  There is simply no one to do it.

To be clear, "some time" means several years.

On Firefox itself, Firebug will soon longer work.

That should read "will soon no longer work".

It is not compatible with the e10s multi-process model FF is shifting to, and
would require a ground up rewrite to work.  The development resources
to do that don't exist. Attention has shifted the the built in Dev
Tools, with an open bug on the Firefox Bugzilla instance to list
things in Firebug and *not* in Dev Tools than should be added to Dev
Tools.

Correct. The related bug report is bug 991806 (have a look at the list of bugs at "Depends on"). If you're missing a Firebug feature in the DevTools that's not listed there already, you should consider to file it blocking bug 991806.

On Chrome, focus is on the corresponding Chrome Dev Tools.  It used to
be possible to install Firebug Lite in Chrome, but I have no idea of
the current status.

The Firebug Lite extension for Chrome is basically a wrapper for the normal Firebug Lite and is also not being worked on for several years now. So, there's no guarantee that it still works.

Why do you specifically need Firebug Lite?

As nowadays all browsers have some developer tools, there shouldn't be any need for Firebug Lite anymore. It's only benefit is to have the same UI across different browsers. And this is being worked on - for the JavaScript debugger at least - by the Firefox DevTools team in the debugger.html project.

Sebastian