Can't exit full screen mode in OSX El Capitan

Juan Morazano

Nov 3, 2015, 1:42:10 AM11/3/15
to Firebug

Hi guys,

I have this problem: I entered "full screen mode" in my firebug running OSX El Capitan and there's no way is comming out of it. Neither the three dots on the top left or a navigation bar appears. I tried the next few steps:

  • Press "esc" several times.
  • Shortcut "Cmd+Ctrl+F".
  • Go full screen mode in firefox and then activate firebug and viceversa.

Nothing worked! Somebody could help me out? I'll really appreciate it!

Thanks.

Firefox version 41.0.2

OSX El Capitan 10.11.1

Firebug 2.0.13

Trent Badger

Nov 4, 2015, 3:31:18 PM11/4/15
to Firebug
I experienced the very same issue this morning - had Firefox on left split screen and moved Firebug detached window to right split screen.  Closing Firefox automatically maximized the Firebug window, and now is 'locked' in full screen mode any time Firebug is detached.  There is no window titlebar with buttons to change the min/max state of the window, or to somehow exit the split screen on El Capitan. Uninstalling Firebug does not fix he issue, nor does reboot.  It would appear that the issue persists regardless of any attempt to resolve the issue.  Basically makes it impossible to use Firebug detached, but can work in top, left, right, and bottom mode.  Simple enough to use right mode, but can no longer use detached mode.

FF 42
OS X El Capitan 10.11.1
Firebug 2.0.13

Brian McNally

Nov 5, 2015, 12:23:31 PM11/5/15
to Firebug
Same exact issue here, I used to use firebug in a seperate vertical monitor and now I can't resize it al all and full screen doesn't show the entire firebug window...

Trent Badger

Nov 5, 2015, 12:34:15 PM11/5/15
to Firebug
The short answer to fixing the issue is to create a new Firefox profile - after hours of frustration, that was the best but least preferable solution I could find.

If you are unfamiliar with the process of creating a profile, follow these instructions:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-and-remove-firefox-profiles

First, I left my existing default profile there and renamed it so that I could get back to it as needed.  I also backed-up my bookmarks, and made a note of all of the add-ons and extensions I had previously installed in FF.

I then created a new Profile - note that any new profile will not have your add-ons and extensions installed (yes, bummer).  But it also gives you a chance to clean out some of those unused, or outdated add-ons and extensions you had not yet bothered to remove.

You have the option of starting FF with a designated profile, or to be prompted each time you start FF.  In the short term, until you get all of your stuff reinstalled, like Firebug, its nice to go back to the old profile.

Restore your bookmarks too, and you should be good to go.  I've got a few less hairs, but being bald, no one has noticed.

Hope this helps the next guy who gets caught by this nasty feature.

r...@cp-uk.com

Nov 23, 2015, 4:57:04 AM11/23/15
to Firebug
Push your cursor to the top margin of the screen, the red and green dots will reappear.