Computed styles - no localization and expand visible

Michał Lepiarz

May 1, 2016, 3:10:51 AM5/1/16
to Firebug
Hello,
I've got problem with Computed styles display in newest Firebug version (2.0.16 on Firefox 46).
I don't see localizations and I can't expand the definition details.

Below how it should looks like and how I see it. Tried all options and nothing works. Also options reset.

Can you please give me some tip how can I have it back? :)

Michał Lepiarz

May 1, 2016, 6:53:04 AM5/1/16
to Firebug
After Firefox downgrade to 2.0.15 problem is fixed.

Waiting for Firebug update... :)

Have a nice day.

Sebastian Zartner

May 2, 2016, 2:16:52 AM5/2/16
to Firebug
On Sunday, May 1, 2016 at 12:53:04 PM UTC+2, Michał Lepiarz wrote:
After Firefox downgrade to 2.0.15 problem is fixed.

Note that the issue is related to the Firefox version, not Firebug.

Waiting for Firebug update... :)

I've already fixed it (see issue #8018). Now I hope there will be a new version released soon.

Sebastian

evdoor

May 13, 2016, 6:23:13 AM5/13/16
to Firebug
Hi Sebastian,

I followed your instructions for issue #8018. Your fixed version of the plugin wouldn't install. So I changed the Firefox about:config setting you mentioned, but I still don't get the Computed attribute groups or Computed CSS source. Some of the CSS cascade steps also seem to be missing under the Style tab, which I think I've seen reported by others. As a result, I can't identify where a page is getting some of the styles. What else can I do to fix this?

FYI: I have Firebug 2.0.16 on Firefox 46.0.1 on Windows 7.

Many thanks in advance for the help.

Sebastian Zartner

May 13, 2016, 4:29:05 PM5/13/16
to Firebug
After changing the setting, could you install it? If not, did you rename the file extension to 'xpi' before dragging it into the Firefox window?
You can check whether the correct version is installed via the Firebug menu > About... 2.0.1.6. In the opening dialog it should say 2.0.16-issue8018 as version.

Sebastian

evdoor

May 15, 2016, 3:06:35 PM5/15/16
to Firebug
OH!! Sorry, I thought the about:config setting was supposed to somehow fix Firebug directly. Yes, after I changed the setting, I am now able to install the fix and Firebug is back to normal.

Thank you!!! :-)

evdoor

May 15, 2016, 11:44:20 PM5/15/16
to Firebug
I just realized that I can't switch that config setting back without disabling Firebug. In order to keep Firebug active, I have to leave the signature.required setting at False. That sounds like it leaves my browser a bit vulnerable to unsigned and therefore potentially unsafe plugins and extensions. That doesn't sound like a good long-term solution.

Is there a fix coming for this in Firebug that doesn't involve leaving my browser vulnerable? If so, how soon?

Sebastian Zartner

May 16, 2016, 3:49:05 PM5/16/16
to Firebug
Until a few versions ago Firefox accepted extensions without requiring them to be signed, so there's not more vulnerability than before.
Mozilla is trying to improve this situation by requiring extensions to be signed now. The long-term solution will be Firebug 3, though I don't know when that version will be released. I assume it will be together with Firefox 48 in August.

Sebastian

evdoor

May 16, 2016, 7:15:11 PM5/16/16
to Firebug
In theory there may be no significant increase in vulnerability, but Firefox created the signed add-on policy for a reason, I'm sure, which was probably because too many were not safe and causing problems. This has been a Firefox policy for some time, so I'm a bit surprised that Firebug has not been more proactive about getting this done. Thanks for the guestimated timeline for the update for this.

Wendy