Firebug cannot find _firebugConsole element, missing scripts list, missed console.log calls

enigment

Jul 14, 2009, 2:14:51 PM7/14/09
to Firebug
Not to be a pain, but I'm seeing all three of these possibly-related-
possibly-not issues way more than would be convenient. Others have
reported them too, but I'm worried that nothing we've been able to
tell you is converging on a fix.

I wish I could give you a real test case, but I don't know what to say
beyond the fact that I see them a fair amount of the time while
working on the complex app that's my job. All are sometimes fine,
sometimes not, when I reload the same page. Just tried www.cnn.com and
www.yahoo.com, no scripts list, any time, after multiple reloads of
both, but that aside, I know it's not consistent.

Only clue I haven't seen mentioned is that when no scripts show, I
often see [something].css or .js listed in that location in the UI,
then nothing. I've tried clicking on whatever shows, while the pg
loads, but that just gets me "Warning, script panel was inactive
during page load, reload to see all sources", and a visible but very
partial list of scripts.

When I see missing console element errors in the console, I'm not that
surprised about the missing open scripts list or missed console.log
calls. But sometimes, no errors show, and still no scripts, no log
entries.

I hate to scrooge, but it's hard to get work done like this. Reminds
me how spoiled I've gotten with firebug, and I mean that as a high
complement.

enigment

Jul 14, 2009, 2:21:42 PM7/14/09
to Firebug
I should also add breakpoints that don't get triggered to this list,
related to the blank scripts list maybe. Right now, there are
breakpoints that I set on this page when I was able to see source, and
now they're not getting hit.

johnjbarton

Jul 14, 2009, 2:29:28 PM7/14/09
to Firebug

On Jul 14, 11:14 am, enigment <enigm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not to be a pain, but I'm seeing all three of these possibly-related-
> possibly-not issues way more than would be convenient. Others have
> reported them too, but I'm worried that nothing we've been able to
> tell you is converging on a fix.

Your worry is well placed. I have not heard of anyone else with the
problem you describe.

> I wish I could give you a real test case, but I don't know what to say
> beyond the fact that I see them a fair amount of the time while
> working on the complex app that's my job. All are sometimes fine,
> sometimes not, when I reload the same page. Just triedwww.cnn.comandwww.yahoo.com, no scripts list, any time, after multiple reloads of
> both, but that aside, I know it's not consistent.
>
> Only clue I haven't seen mentioned is that when no scripts show, I
> often see [something].css or .js listed in that location in the UI,
> then nothing. I've tried clicking on whatever shows, while the pg
> loads, but that just gets me "Warning, script panel was inactive
> during page load, reload to see all sources", and a visible but very
> partial list of scripts.

Firebug tries to get its list of script file from the JS compiler. But
if it gets nothing it shows you the list it gets by scanning for
'script' tags. So I guess what you are seeing is "oh, not compiler
info, scan for them....oh compiler info, dump the scan list" But in
fact there is no compiler info for some reason. That is why you get a
partial list sometimes.

> When I see missing console element errors in the console, I'm not that
> surprised about the missing open scripts list or missed console.log
> calls. But sometimes, no errors show, and still no scripts, no log
> entries.

The only case I know where the _firebugConsole element is missing is
when you:
Open firebug,
Reload the page.
Turn Firebug off for the page ("Off"). // Context destroyed
Open Firebug (status bar icon).
Then FIrebug is visible but you have not reload.

Don't push the "off" button unless you want to turn Firebug Off for a
site. If you just want to hide the UI, use the statusbar icon to
minimize.

> I hate to scrooge, but it's hard to get work done like this. Reminds
> me how spoiled I've gotten with firebug, and I mean that as a high
> complement.

Let us know if you find a way to reproduce it.

jjb

Steven Roussey

Jul 14, 2009, 2:57:49 PM7/14/09
to Firebug
I've only seen this this type of thing when there is a breakpoint,
debugger, or console.log, or JS parse error very early in the page
load, after which firebug seems to get corrupted. However, like you, I
find it very inconsistent. though I see it less and less lately.
Though sometimes when it happens, it is very consistent, and usually a
sign that I have a bug...

On Jul 14, 11:14 am, enigment <enigm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not to be a pain, but I'm seeing all three of these possibly-related-
> possibly-not issues way more than would be convenient. Others have
> reported them too, but I'm worried that nothing we've been able to
> tell you is converging on a fix.
>
> I wish I could give you a real test case, but I don't know what to say
> beyond the fact that I see them a fair amount of the time while
> working on the complex app that's my job. All are sometimes fine,
> sometimes not, when I reload the same page. Just triedwww.cnn.comandwww.yahoo.com, no scripts list, any time, after multiple reloads of

johnjbarton

Jul 14, 2009, 4:43:13 PM7/14/09
to Firebug
Can you explain "after which firebug seems to get corrupted". I guess
you mean the data in the panels does not make sense with the page?
jjb

johnjbarton

Jul 14, 2009, 7:56:14 PM7/14/09
to Firebug
Another question: are you running in external window or in browser?
jjb

enigment

Jul 14, 2009, 9:31:54 PM7/14/09
to Firebug
In browser almost always, it's just easier to mentally connect firebug
with the window and tab it belongs to that way.

Are you thinking that we're more likely to see problems one way or the
other?

-e

johnjbarton

Jul 14, 2009, 11:38:03 PM7/14/09
to Firebug
I found a problem while open in an external window. And generally that
mode is tested less, but in 1.4 it is more like in browser than ever.

jjb

Highway of Life

Jul 15, 2009, 3:52:53 AM7/15/09
to Firebug
I was able to reproduce this issue easily using Firebug 1.5a12

Error #1
> Firebug cannot find _firebugConsole element true Window page_name.php

Error #2
> redeclaration of var console

Steps to reproduce:
1) Navigate to a webpage which has Firebug enabled by default.
2) Turn Firebug OFF
3) Refresh the page
4) Enable Firebug
5) Click in the "console" window (you might need to click in the log
window, then again in the console window for the errors to appear.)
6) These errors will appear.

Hernan Rodriguez Colmeiro

Jul 15, 2009, 9:23:45 AM7/15/09
to fir...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 04:52, Highway of Life<highwa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Steps to reproduce:
> 1) Navigate to a webpage which has Firebug enabled by default.
> 2) Turn Firebug OFF
> 3) Refresh the page
> 4) Enable Firebug
> 5) Click in the "console" window (you might need to click in the log
> window, then again in the console window for the errors to appear.)
> 6) These errors will appear.

I couldn' reproduce the error with these steps. I think they're clear
enough, but I can't just reproduce it. Should I follow these steps
with firebug detached?

Hernán

johnjbarton

Jul 15, 2009, 10:01:39 AM7/15/09
to Firebug

On Jul 15, 6:23 am, Hernan Rodriguez Colmeiro <colme...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 04:52, Highway of Life<highwayofl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Steps to reproduce:
> > 1) Navigate to a webpage which has Firebug enabled by default.
> > 2) Turn Firebug OFF
> > 3) Refresh the page
> > 4) Enable Firebug
> > 5) Click in the "console" window (you might need to click in the log
> > window, then again in the console window for the errors to appear.)
> > 6) These errors will appear.
>
> I couldn' reproduce the error with these steps. I think they're clear
> enough, but I can't just reproduce it. Should I follow these steps
> with firebug detached?

I could not reproduce this either, whether Firebug was in browser or
external.

This sounds pretty close to issue 1998, http://code.google.com/p/fbug/issues/detail?id=1998

I commited a change that prints a message in the Console at step #5:
"Reload to activate window console"

What is going on here is that at step 2 Turn Firebug Off, the Console
is disconnected from the web page. Since the Firebug is not active
during the reload in step 3, the console is not defined.

The reason this surprises users is that Firebug 1.3 silently reloaded
the page. Since we know users hate software that tries to be too smart
by half, we don't reload now in 1.4. So you have to do it yourself.

jjb

enigment

Jul 15, 2009, 12:33:45 PM7/15/09
to Firebug
I've seen this a lot too, clicking in the larger command line area
while a window is still loading. Not sure if it's 100% of the time,
but a lot. OTOH, it's easy enough to avoid.

However, I can't tell you how happy I am that at John's suggestion, I
created a new Firefox profile, installed only firebug, and pretty much
the whole laundry list of issues I had that started this thread and
some others are gone! This is huge for me; yesterday I had to bail out
to an earlier version of Flock with an earlier version of firebug, so
I could get some work done.

But today, in new-profile-land, I've been working all morning with no
problems except two distinctly non-showstoppers: The too-early-clicks
issue above, and maybe but I'm not certain (got so used to it
happening that my sense of time is off), sometimes losing linefeeds
out of the larger command line when the page refreshes.

Next step, which I'm holding off on for now, is to bring back some
other valued extensions, one at a time, and see if there's some
interaction. The big everyday ones for me are Web Developer, Tab Mix
Plus, and Context Search. There are also some others that I usually
keep disabled unless I need them. Would you think that disabled
extensions might affect things?

Anyway, I'm such a happy guy, it's a Wonderful Thing to have firebug
back in my corner, I've gotten so spoiled. Thanks again to John for
the suggestion; simple though it may be, I'm more or less good so far.

Highway of Life

Jul 16, 2009, 2:33:54 PM7/16/09
wrote:
> I couldn' reproduce the error with these steps. I think they're clear
> enough, but I can't just reproduce it. Should I follow these steps
> with firebug detached?
>
> Hernán

To note, I am using Firebug 1.5a16
Here is a video demonstrating how to reproduce the issue.
You must have the console selected BEFORE you disable Firebug.
http://highwayoflife.net/jing/Firebug_Activation_Errors.swf
Reloading the page again after you activate it for the domain, the
errors will not reappear, they will only appear for the first load +
activation.

- Highway

johnjbarton

Jul 16, 2009, 3:02:17 PM7/16/09