Firebug 2.0.16

Jan Honza Odvarko

Mar 30, 2016, 7:30:52 AM3/30/16
to Firebug

alfonsoml

Mar 30, 2016, 5:49:11 PM3/30/16
to Firebug
Wouldn't it make sense to freeze Firebug for the people that don't want to upgrade Firefox, so there's no need to worry about compatibility with old versions and this kind of unexpected breakage?
They are happy with their setup as is, so unless there's an important reason, set the minimum compatibility with Firefox 40 for example and they'll keep on working exactly the same way as long as they want.
This is even more important taking into account all the upcoming changes, instead of pushing versions to fix compatibility with new firefox and at the same time add the code to avoid breaking old versions, release the new firebug only for those that have a firefox recent enough and everybody will be happy

Jan Honza Odvarko

Mar 31, 2016, 3:18:24 AM3/31/16
to Firebug
On Wednesday, March 30, 2016 at 11:49:11 PM UTC+2, alfonsoml wrote:
Wouldn't it make sense to freeze Firebug for the people that don't want to upgrade Firefox, so there's no need to worry about compatibility with old versions and this kind of unexpected breakage?
They are happy with their setup as is, so unless there's an important reason, set the minimum compatibility with Firefox 40 for example and they'll keep on working exactly the same way as long as they want.
This is even more important taking into account all the upcoming changes, instead of pushing versions to fix compatibility with new firefox and at the same time add the code to avoid breaking old versions, release the new firebug only for those that have a firefox recent enough and everybody will be happy
Yes, agree. I'll do that as soon as support for multiprocess (aka e10s) lands in Firefox.
It'll be breaking change and good opportunity to freeze Firebug.

Honza

Erik Krause

Mar 31, 2016, 6:08:14 AM3/31/16
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Am 30.03.2016 um 23:49 schrieb alfonsoml:
> Wouldn't it make sense to freeze Firebug for the people that don't want
> to upgrade Firefox,

I ever had the impression that is sufficient to disable automatic
updates, although never tried...

But anyway, why would a web developer (I think the mayority of firebug
users) stick to a firefox version, that has almost no market share? I
wouldn't dare to deliver websites to my clients, that where not tested
on the most recent browser versions...

--
Erik Krause

Шелепов Григорий

Mar 31, 2016, 6:53:34 AM3/31/16
to Firebug
Thx

Lawrence San

Mar 31, 2016, 10:31:03 AM3/31/16
to fir...@googlegroups.com

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 6:08 AM, Erik Krause <erik....@gmx.de> wrote:
But anyway, why would a web developer (I think the mayority of firebug users) stick to a firefox version, that has almost no market share? I wouldn't dare to deliver websites to my clients, that where not tested on the most recent browser versions...

​Sadly, even the most current version of Firefox has little market share. It has been slipping for a long time. In other developer forums, it's common for developers to say that the only compatibility they care about (or test for) now is Chrome and IE.

I stick with Firefox (mostly) because it still has the best range of developer tools. I'd like to keep using the latest version too, for security when browsing, but that's a secondary issue. The tools (Firebug and all the others) are the main issue to me.... so if a new version of Firefox breaks those tools, I'll have no reason to upgrade Firefox further.

Joe Elizondo

Mar 31, 2016, 10:57:08 AM3/31/16
to Firebug
I have only just begun using firebug 2 weeks ago, So I am still just learning it. However, I am not sure who is responsible for the videos on Firebug's home page, but I have a request could someone add Closed Caption options to the video's? Please. See I am deaf and that puts me at a disadvantage when viewing videos without CC.
Thank yoiu.

stephen taylor

Mar 31, 2016, 12:36:44 PM3/31/16
to Firebug
I am 100% in agreement here and it si beyond my understanding why the FF people would do "retire" firebug.  I have said many times that in may years of development workI can count on 1 hand the people who use Chrome or Safari (or any Microsoft) dev tools as their *primary* tool. Only Firefox - but now, who knows. Wish and hope they have someone who will read this and other similar comments.

Erik Krause

Mar 31, 2016, 6:15:16 PM3/31/16
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Am 31.03.2016 um 16:30 schrieb Lawrence San:
> ​Sadly, even the most current version of Firefox has little market share.

Still the major browser in Germany and some african countries according
to statcounter. And slightly above IE (again) worldwide.

Erik