Fabric/Crashlytics API Key Error

Doug Thompson

Dec 8, 2017, 2:31:23 PM12/8/17
to Firebase Google Group
Running an iOS app where we set up Fabric/Crashlytics from within Firebase per the instructions here.

Build script:

"${PODS_ROOT}/Fabric/run"

However, it is throwing off an error when uploading to the app store:

2017-12-08 14:16:07.358 uploadDSYM[22120:1096581] Fabric.framework/run 1.7.0 (208)
error: Fabric: Configuration Issue
Fabric API key not valid. Your Fabric run script build phase should contain your API key:
./Fabric.framework/run INSERT_YOUR_API_KEY INSERT_YOUR_BUILD_SECRET

It doesn't ask for an API key in the instructions and it's unclear where to get one as it isn't shown on the Firebase console.

Any assistance appreciated!

mbon...@google.com

Dec 8, 2017, 4:22:47 PM12/8/17
to Firebase Google Group
Hey Doug,

Sounds like we're not seeing the right information in the Google-Services info.plist. Can you try pulling that down into your project once more and also update to Fabric.framework 1.7.2?

-Mike

Doug Thompson

Dec 8, 2017, 5:59:06 PM12/8/17
to Firebase Google Group
OK I'll try that and report back!

Doug Thompson

Dec 14, 2017, 2:20:21 PM12/14/17
to Firebase Google Group
Hmmm. That didn't work.

Strangely, the Fabric script runs fine when running it locally, but throws an error when trying to archive the app. Perhaps there's some phantom build requirement in there somewhere, although I thought it was a clean project with no previous Fabric installation.

- Upgraded to 1.7.2
- Updated plist
- Ran locally, app ran fine
- Tried to upload via archive, but got the same error.

Tried simulating a crash and while it worked locally, don't see it showing on the FB console.

Doug Thompson

Dec 14, 2017, 2:21:01 PM12/14/17
to Firebase Google Group
(Am wondering if I should re-install on the "old" Fabric instead of FB)?

Mike Bonnell

Dec 14, 2017, 8:43:50 PM12/14/17
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Doug for the update. Can you share what your run script build phase looks like? Do you see any keys present (if so, let me know, but don't share the keys)?

-Mike

Michael Bonnell  | Developer Advocate | mbonnell@google.com  |  Google Inc.
Bring questions. Build answers.

Doug Thompson

Dec 14, 2017, 9:37:11 PM12/14/17
to Firebase Google Group
That's the only run script in my build phase:

Mike Bonnell

Dec 15, 2017, 9:22:52 AM12/15/17
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Doug, try disabling "Run script only when installing" and let me know how it goes after.

-Mike

Doug Thompson

Dec 15, 2017, 10:15:24 AM12/15/17
to Firebase Google Group
Same issue, only now the issue also occurs when running locally instead of just when uploaded.

Should I try running Fabric through the 'old' method? I wanted to migrate to FB console but perhaps I should go back to the Fabric dashboard for now.

Sorry for being a pain.

Mike Bonnell

Dec 15, 2017, 10:17:49 AM12/15/17
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
It's totally up to you Doug. I'm happy to keep diving into this with you, but if you want to use Crashlytics via Fabric you can. Let me know how you want to proceed.

Doug Thompson

Dec 15, 2017, 10:32:49 AM12/15/17
to Firebase Google Group
Sheesh you guys never sleep huh.

I don't want to hijack the threads here - maybe I should take this offline and then share the resolution here.

I feel as if there's an errant flag in here somewhere that shouldn't be there. We tried to start with a clean code base but I fear that there's some 'shadow' code in there somewhere that has Fabric installation code from the 'old system'.

I'm not sure what else to share that might be useful. Framework search paths?

 export OTHER_LDFLAGS="-ObjC -l\"c++\" -licucore  -ObjC -l\"c++\" -l\"icucore\" -l\"sqlite3\" -l\"z\" -framework \"CFNetwork\" -framework \"CoreTelephony\" -framework \"Crashlytics\" -framework \"Fabric\" -framework \"FirebaseAnalytics\" -framework \"FirebaseAuth\" -framework \"FirebaseAuthUI\" -framework \"FirebaseCore\" -framework \"FirebaseCoreDiagnostics\" -framework \"FirebaseDatabase\" -framework \"FirebaseDatabaseUI\" -framework \"FirebaseInstanceID\" -framework \"FirebaseNanoPB\" -framework \"FirebasePerformance\" -framework \"FirebaseStorage\" -framework \"FirebaseStorageUI\" -framework \"FirebaseSwizzlingUtilities\" -framework \"GTMSessionFetcher\" -framework \"GoogleToolboxForMac\" -framework \"MobileCoreServices\" -framework \"Protobuf\" -framework \"SDWebImage\" -framework \"SafariServices\" -framework \"Security\" -framework \"StoreKit\" -framework \"SystemConfiguration\" -framework \"UIKit\" -framework \"leveldb\" -framework \"nanopb\""

Just not sure how to help out.

Mike Bonnell

Dec 15, 2017, 10:42:36 AM12/15/17
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
Do you see any reference to a Fabric dictionary in your info.plist or a Crashlytics startWithApikey init?

Doug Thompson

Dec 15, 2017, 11:27:37 AM12/15/17
to Firebase Google Group
In info.plist I see a Fabric dictionary with an API key:

Nothing shows in Google plist:

Mike Bonnell

Dec 15, 2017, 4:48:34 PM12/15/17
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
Can you try pulling out the Fabric dictionary and let me know if that unblocks you?

Doug Thompson

Dec 18, 2017, 8:54:34 AM12/18/17
to Firebase Google Group
SUCCESS!!!

Mike - you rock. Thanks so much. Really appreciate the patience and help.

Mike Bonnell

Dec 18, 2017, 8:56:22 AM12/18/17
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
Huzzah! Very glad that did the trick. I'll chat with the team about making that clearer in our docs. Have a fantastic week and Happy Holidays :)

-Mike