GCM project as a Firebase project import result in same Sender Id but different Server key

Nicolas Milliard

Jun 30, 2016, 8:10:28 PM6/30/16
to Firebase Google Group
I imported my GCM project as a Firebase project and I see that I still have the same `Sender ID` which is great. However I see that my `Server Key` has changed and it's not mentioned in the migration guide, is this something I should be concerned about ? If not it could be good to mentioned it in the migration guide like what happen if we still use the old one, etc.

Nicolas

Silvano Luciani

Jul 7, 2016, 1:36:41 PM7/7/16
to Firebase Google Group
Hi Nicolas,

Yes, when you create a Firebase project, an additional Server Key is created for you. If you check the credentials for the project in the Google developer console, you can see that this key has an '(auto created by Google Service)' label.
Both keys work with their Sender ID; it's up to you to replace the key in your code or keep using the old one. Whatever you end up doing, I'd recommend not to delete the key generated by FCM, I fear there could be unforeseen side-effects.

I'll add something to the doc to better explain this. Thanks for flagging it!