Feature request for copy/move/rename nodes

Kasbolat Kumakhov

Jul 29, 2016, 10:48:34 AM7/29/16
to Firebase Google Group
There are cases when using simple "download-process-upload" sequence won't suffice because of several reasons, like non-atomic nature and the fact that there are a lot of records to process.
Is Firebase team considering adding such methods?

For example, imagine we have a node with 1000 subnodes and each one with 5-10 values (a real case). And there is a need to move them all to another subnode (something like "Archive" operation). Currently a client will have to download them all, delete and upload again.
Not to mention that internet might drop during the entire process, or records could be added/deleted/changed right in the middle of the process.
Yes, we can use mutli-atomic updates (can we?) for this, but it looks a bit hacky for this case and still we have to download all the records. Also transactions might work, but not while offline.

Same goes for "copy" and "rename" operations. When you need to copy all nodes of a specific subnode or rename their root node.
If Firebase had such funtionality out of the box, then these functions (like "rename", "archive", or "clone" records) would be much easier to implement.

Or perhaps i'm missing something and these could be easily done with current SDK, such as Android or iOS ?

Kato Richardson

Aug 10, 2016, 10:06:48 PM8/10/16
to Firebase Google Group
Kasbolat,

Thanks for the feedback and the additional details. We hear about these occasionally and it's definitely something that could be easier.

I'll pass your thoughts on to the API experts to talk about in our next design meeting!

☼, Kato

Kato Richardson | Developer Programs Eng | kato...@google.com | 775-235-8398