A few more doubts about Firebase limits

Francisco Vallarino

May 23, 2016, 6:57:08 PM5/23/16
to Firebase Google Group
The platform we are working on requires each user to keep an open connection for as long as it is operating, which is in the order of several hours per day, so we have to consider that one user equals one connection when estimating resource consumption. Taking this into consideration, and the fact that we currently have about 25,000 users, we need the default 10,000 limit connection to be lifted before actually moving to production. Is this request something that takes a long time to process? We also expect to have about 100,000 users in one year; will Firebase allow that number of simultaneous open connections?

There is one extra limit mentioned in the docs that I'm not really sure about, and it's the number of allowed operations in a certain period. Based on what the documentation says, it's about 1,000 small writes per second. What would be a more precise definition of "small"? Is it less than 1Kb? What if the operation is in the order of 500Kb? Does the same number of operations apply or is it lower?

As the final question, looking at your presence sample (https://www.firebase.com/docs/web/guide/offline-capabilities.html) you suggest writing a value to the Database when connection and removing it when disconnecting. Since I'm making an estimation of data transfer size, I'm wondering how often a reconnection scenario would trigger the write/delete operation.

Thanks!

Regards,
Francisco

Jacob Wenger

May 24, 2016, 4:04:13 AM5/24/16
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
Hey Francisco,

A lot of these questions vary greatly between apps. Please reach out to the direct, personalized support and ask them there. The TL;DR is that yes, Firebase can scale concurrent connections fairly easier and the typical bottleneck is bandwidth, not the number of users. The support team can answer your other questions better than we can here.

Cheers,
Jacob

Francisco Vallarino

May 24, 2016, 11:10:40 AM5/24/16