Auth with PhoneNumber

Evans Attafuah

May 20, 2015, 6:48:17 PM5/20/15
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
Am new to firebase Auth. How do I sign up a user using his Phone Number?

James Tamplin

May 20, 2015, 6:50:46 PM5/20/15
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
Hi Evans,

This isn't something we offer yet, but something we're considering.

Does anyone else want this feature?

--
James Tamplin
Co-Founder & CEO, Firebase

On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 3:48 PM, Evans Attafuah <evans.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
Am new to firebase Auth. How do I sign up a user using his Phone Number?

GmailMe

May 21, 2015, 2:59:19 AM5/21/15
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
Hello James,

will be very glad. Am currently doing this with my server and Twilio. But looking at how your security works on firebase. I think I can take advantage of auth when it's done for firebase.

Please keep me in the know.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone 6
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Firebase Google Group" group.

Michael Kintzer

May 21, 2015, 3:26:34 PM5/21/15
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I'd like support for this as well.   Particularly through Twitter Digits.   See also this thread: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/firebase-talk/BMOshgQWpgU

Regards,

Michael

Itzy

May 22, 2015, 4:00:03 AM5/22/15
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
I'm currently doing this by myself too, using Node.js + Nexmo.

IMHO it would be a very attractive addition to the Firebase authentication suite, supporting the notion that Firebase apps can be serverless.

If you are considering offering this, here are $0.02 worth of points to consider:
  • I used to use Twilio. They started having deliverability problems in my country (Israel) -- I assume it was temporary but I couldn't afford to wait, so switched to Nexmo within 30 minutes of recognizing the problem. Basically what I'm saying is that for me, an SMS sending engine is a commodity.
  • Since then, Twilio has started offering a complete mobile phone authenticating service, but I would hesitate to use them until such things become a commodity -- because of deliverability issues.
  • If you start offering this, it would be very tempting for me, but what would I do if there were deliverability issues? your company's focus is not SMS deliverability, which is a specialized field. However, if you use a named 3rd party SMS company (or Google's own infrastructure) it would probably be good enough. If you allow me to specify which 3rd party SMS engine to use when sending the SMS messages -- that would be even better.

Justin Noel

May 22, 2015, 5:44:40 AM5/22/15
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
I previously rolled my own phone based authentication using Nexmo.  However, this was for my own Node.js based backend - not Firebase.  I gave up on this authentication scheme for a reasons:

  1. I was moving my backend to Firebase and Firebase did not support this mechanism.  I didn't want to use Custom Tokens to accomplish this with Firebase
  2. Average consumers are completely lost by this authentication scheme.  I can't tell you how much trouble this caused me.  Consumers are comfortable an email address and password.  Anything beyond this is too new for them and they wanted nothing to do with it.
  3. It was expensive.  Email & password authentication is essentially free.  Every time a client needed to login on another device was another 1¢ to 10¢ (depending on country) that I had to pay.  In addition, I had to pay a monthly fee for each number in each country I used.  Nexmo came out with a new auth system that was simply too expensive, about12.5¢ per user regardless of location.
So, I'd love it if Firebase had this baked in.  However, I'd caution against using it unless you know your audience very well.  If they are not technically inclined, you might be better off with just email and password until this auth mechanism becomes more mainstream.

Evans Attafuah

May 22, 2015, 9:21:12 AM5/22/15
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
For me Twilio works well and it's cheap for the type of solution am building. I just want a seamless custom solution from Firebase which doesn't interfere with the way I handle things. Just so I can take advantage of Security rules which is very important

1. User enters phone number
2. I send user a text message with a code [ using SMS service like twilio ]
3. User validates code from message
4. I send firebase a users phone number and a firebase Api level token
5. firebase sends back a session token which can be used in security rules to validate users

Itzy

May 22, 2015, 9:49:54 AM5/22/15
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
Evans,

Instead of steps 4 and 5, when the user submits the correct verification code, presumably to a server you built, your server just needs to use the Firebase Token Generator (https://www.firebase.com/docs/security/ ) to generate and return a custom token, which works nicely with the Firebase rules. That's how I do it currently.

Evans Attafuah

May 22, 2015, 9:56:55 AM5/22/15
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
Hello Itzy,

I just looked at the link. Will try it. I just wish I didn't have to manage this myself. But thanks

jasan singh

Aug 2, 2016, 12:55:29 PM8/2/16
to Firebase Google Group
Justin,
   Why didn't you want to use custom tokens? I am considering Twitter digits or facebook active kit. but it seems i need to use something like google cloud function to generate custom tokens. but don't know if this efficient for scaling.

Ryan Rucker

Aug 2, 2016, 3:42:36 PM8/2/16
to Firebase Google Group
YESSS!!!!!! I NEEDED IT YESTERDAY!

Stefan Muke

Aug 3, 2016, 8:54:34 AM8/3/16
to Firebase Google Group
Hey James,
I would love to see this feature beeing implemented as well, since it makes the overall user-onboarding process a lot easier. As a reference it may be worth looking at the twitter digits implementation (see www.get.digits.com), they did a pretty good job at removing friction during the signup process.
Currently it is pretty difficult to connect digits to firebase, I am working on it, but the main hurdle is that it takes an additional authentication server to handle the digits auth data (validated phone number + stable user id) which then has to be passed on to Firebase Authentication via JWT.
This setup is neither the most reliable, nor the most convenient one, which is why I would love to have Phone Number sign-in build right into Firebase.

Have a nice day,
Stefan

Ryan Rucker

Aug 22, 2016, 1:36:24 PM8/22/16
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
I think I have found a solution here on this git on Github. I only need to deploy it on Google App Engine which I'm having issues doing. If anybody has experience with Google Cloud Platform I think we'll be able to figure this out.

Ryan Rucker
Morehouse College '14
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined. -Henry David Thoreau

GmailMe

Aug 22, 2016, 2:47:41 PM8/22/16
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
Another solution is deploying parse server on google cloud and using this code

Parse server

Phone number login

Sent from my iPhone 6
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to firebase-tal...@googlegroups.com.

ja...@staance.com

Sep 28, 2016, 6:31:34 PM9/28/16
to Firebase Google Group
James,

We would definitely leverage this feature if it was in the SDK. We are exploring Auth0 and/or Twilio as an alternative, but a bundled solution would be great.

Thanks,
Jason