Roadmap for Unity

Koniak

Apr 28, 2016, 7:55:17 PM4/28/16
to Firebase Google Group
Hi,

I'm looking for which Backend solution to use for my Unity Android/iOS project.

I found the post covering the Firebase+Unity plugin from 18th of december 2015 interesting. But i is described as "early preview" and there is very little "real life" information with regards to questions and solutions on the web.

Even so that on Stackoverflow a Firebase employee fails to mention the Unity plugin on a question on how to use Firebase with Unity:

Does Firbase have a roadmap for the Unity plugin?

(In the post from december it sound more like, there might be an update to the plugin if there is enough interest...)

Of course I could use Firebase in Unity-Android/iOS without a Unity plugin. But then it's probably less effort to use a backend that already have a Unity plugin and example projects.

/Koniak

Kato Richardson

May 2, 2016, 2:07:09 PM5/2/16
to Firebase Google Group
Koniak,

Great to meet you. Thanks for reaching out with your feedback! We love hearing from the community.

Even so that on Stackoverflow a Firebase employee fails to mention the Unity plugin on a question on how to use Firebase with Unity:

The first commit to firebase-unity was September of 2015. Puf's comment on the Stack Overflow thread was in March of 2015. Nothing was missed here. It simply didn't exist at the time.

Does Firbase have a roadmap for the Unity plugin?

Google doesn't publish any public road maps for Firebase at this time. We don't offer any ballparks or release dates for features. The only certainty about priorities is that they change, so I think, personally, that this is a service to the community. Relying on roadmaps to plan your product means you're at the mercy of someone else's process--best to only depend on with what is already released and supported for your production apps.

(In the post from december it sound more like, there might be an update to the plugin if there is enough interest...)

Correct. There seems to be good interest in Unity now, so I'd expect this to get discussed/addressed in the near future.

I hope that helps!

☼, Kato