Assignment of IDs and URLs; and changing them

Atlas Group

May 23, 2016, 10:00:37 PM5/23/16
to Firebase Google Group
1. Is there a way to get a "generic" (i.e., random) URL assignment?

For example, before the new upgrade, when creating a new project we would get assigned a firebase URL like "hot-stuff-1234". So the full URL might be "https://hot-stuff-1234.firebaseio.com/"

But now, after the upgrades, they seem to be related to the project name. So for example, if my project name is "My Project" the assigned firebase ID might be "my-project" so the full URL might be "https://my-project.firebaseio.com/".

2. What happens if the URL is already taken?

Again, back to my prior question example. If my project name is My Project. And the system wants to assign a firebase ID of "my-project" but someone else already has the "my-project" id / subdomain, what rule will the system follow to assign my new firebase URL? Will it be a random (or sequential number) appended to the "my-project" base to create a unique string? (e.g., "my-project-1" or "my-project-0253" Or what?

3. Is there any way to change the URL (or firebase ID) after one is assigned?

Let's say I'm assigned the ID "my-project." Can I change it if I prefer a different URL? Or, alternatively, can I opt for a new randomly assigned ID?

Michael Bleigh

May 24, 2016, 12:53:54 AM5/24/16
to Firebase Google Group

The name is used to generate a project id which is also used for the database/hosting subdomain, if available. Otherwise a random string may be appended if the supplied name translates into a project id that is already taken.

Hope that clears it up a bit. We are working on making this more transparent.

Michael Bleigh

May 24, 2016, 12:54:52 AM5/24/16
to Firebase Google Group

Oh, and once a project id is assigned it is immutable and cannot be changed.