IOS app submission to store - Firebase

sdfw09

Feb 11, 2018, 2:58:51 PM2/11/18
to Firebase Google Group
Hi,

This is my first time submitting an app to Apple Store. During the process, I met the below question,

<<Is your app designed to use cryptography or does it contain or incorporate cryptography? (Select Yes even if your app is only utilizing the encryption available in iOS or macOS.)>>

In my app, I do not use any cryptography explicitly. All I use is Firebase and Reachability
My questions are,
1. Should I select "Yes" for the above question since I am using firebase?
If I select "Yes" - assuming that Firebase encrypts the data before storing on device for offline usage- then Apple asks below questions

<<

Does your app meet any of the following:
(a) Qualifies for one or more exemptions provided under category 5 part 2
(b) Use of encryption is limited to encryption within the operating system (iOS or macOS)
(c) Only makes call(s) over HTTPS
(d) App is made available only in the U.S. and/or Canada

Make sure that your app meets the criteria of the exemption listed here. You are responsible for the proper classification of your product. Incorrectly classifying your app may lead to you being in violation of U.S. export laws and could make you subject to penalties, including your app being removed from the App Store. Read the FAQ thoroughly before answering the questions.

You can select Yes for question #2 if the encryption of your app is:
(a) Limited to using the encryption within the operating system (iOS or macOS)
(b) Limited to making calls over HTTPS
(c) Specially designed for medical end-use
(d) Limited to intellectual property and copyright protection
(e) Limited to authentication, digital signature, or the decryption of data or files

(f) Specially designed and limited for banking use or "money transactions"; or
(g) Limited to "fixed" data compression or coding techniques

You can also select Yes if your app meets the descriptions provided in Note 4 for Category 5, Part 2 of the U.S. Export Administration Regulations.

Does Google provide any kind of "year-end self classification report" for Firebase ?

If anyone has experience in submitting an iOS app that uses Firebase , to AppStore , could you please help with my question

Thanks in advance.

Kato Richardson

Feb 20, 2018, 3:13:57 PM2/20/18
to Firebase Google Group
Hello,

Firebase only makes calls via HTTPS in iOS, we're just utilizing websockets or REST calls. So standard HTTPS encryption methods.

There's no year-end self classification report.

It looks like others have had success with "yes" for encryption and "yes" for exemptions, and then added something like this in the plist file:

☼, Kato

Kato Richardson | Developer Programs Eng | kato...@google.com | 775-235-8398