NullPointerException when attempting to get Remote config instance with FirebaseRemoteConfig.getInstance()

Tapasya Kollimarla

Aug 9, 2016, 10:21:54 AM8/9/16
to Firebase Google Group
Non-fatal Exception: java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to read from field 'int com.google.android.gms.internal.q.a' on a null object reference
       at com.google.firebase.remoteconfig.FirebaseRemoteConfig.getInstance(Unknown Source)
       at com.google.firebase.remoteconfig.FirebaseRemoteConfig.getInstance(Unknown Source)
       at com.google.firebase.remoteconfig.FirebaseRemoteConfig.getInstance(Unknown Source)

below is the proguard mapping

com.google.android.gms.internal.zzaji$zzc -> com.google.android.gms.internal.q:
    int zzbTG -> a
    boolean zzbTH -> b
    void <init>() -> <init>
    com.google.android.gms.internal.zzaji$zzc zzUJ() -> a
    boolean equals(java.lang.Object) -> equals
    int hashCode() -> hashCode
    void writeTo(com.google.android.gms.internal.zzamc) -> a
    int zzy() -> c
    com.google.android.gms.internal.zzaji$zzc zzR(com.google.android.gms.internal.zzamb) -> a
    com.google.android.gms.internal.zzamj mergeFrom(com.google.android.gms.internal.zzamb) -> b

From vague understanding of the obfuscated source code, I feel that the persisted_config file is getting corrupted on slow networks and is never able to recover.

Is it fine if I catch this issue and delete the persisted_config file from the files directory and attempt to get the instance of FRC ?

PS: we have tried this with 9.4.0, the issue seems to be fixed but we have to revert back to 9.0.0 due to various other crashes with google play services 9.4.0.