Can I enable custom third-party authentication providers?

James Donnelly

Apr 28, 2016, 7:50:51 PM4/28/16
to Firebase Google Group
I'm creating an application in which I'm wanting to allow users to log in with their Twitch accounts (using their Implicit Grant Flow (https://github.com/justintv/Twitch-API/blob/master/authentication.md#implicit-grant)).

My application is entirely front-end JavaScript-based and at present I don't intend to change this. I'd love for Firebase to be able to handle user logins for me.

An example Twitch authentication URL is:

https://api.twitch.tv/kraken/oauth2/authorize
    ?response_type=token
    &client_id=[your client ID]
    &redirect_uri=[your registered redirect URI]
    &scope=[space separated list of scopes]

Is it possible to configure this in Firebase?

Jacob Wenger

Apr 28, 2016, 8:48:27 PM4/28/16
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
Hey James,

Definitely possible to connect those accounts to Firebase, but it will require some work on your end and running your own server. You'll have to use custom authentication and handle all the OAuth code yourself. We don't have first-class support for Twitch and it's unfortunately not as simple as just saying authWithOAuthPopup("twitch").

Cheers,
Jacob