Re: [Firebase] Cloud Firestore Unity Support

Samuel Stern

Jan 23, 2018, 10:55:35 AM1/23/18
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
Hi Derek,

We don't have anything to share yet (beta or otherwise) but we definitely want to bring Cloud Firestore support to Unity.  Stay tuned!

- Sam

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 9:11 PM Derek Arndt <deek...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey there!

We have a Unity game that's using the Realtime Database to store our player and community data. Cloud Firestore appears to have a number of possible benefits to us but it doesn't appear to be available in the Unity plugin.

Is there beta access to an updated Unity plugin that has Cloud Firestore?

Thanks,
Derek

Erez Lankri

Jun 5, 2018, 11:06:08 AM6/5/18
to Firebase Google Group
Hi Sam,

Is there any update on the Unity support for the service?

garrett...@gmail.com

Jun 8, 2018, 11:04:30 PM6/8/18
to Firebase Google Group
Hi Sam i'd also to be interested to know if there is an update for Cloud Firestore support for Unity.

We have used Realtime Database in the past and are starting a net new project soon.  Would prefer to start the project on Cloud Firestore if it will be available anytime soon, rather than migrate everything later.

Thank you!

Best,
Garrett

Jacques Le Lezard

Jun 9, 2018, 10:27:20 AM6/9/18
to Firebase Google Group
Hi there,

I had to leave Firebase due to my project complexity but I would definitely be interested to try Firestore if any beta is coming soon on Unity.

Thanks :)

aliaksandr kamarou

Jun 19, 2018, 10:25:56 AM6/19/18
to Firebase Google Group
Looking forward to see Firestore for Unity as well

Thaina Yu

Aug 17, 2018, 2:00:55 AM8/17/18
to Firebase Google Group
This is a whole 8 month that we have to stay tuned for nothing. Did you really want to bring Cloud Firestore support to Unity ???

Ian Barber

Aug 17, 2018, 6:58:03 PM8/17/18
to Firebase Google Group
We still want to! Despite being part of Google, we're still only so many people, sorry!

On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 11:00 PM Thaina Yu <thai...@gmail.com> wrote:
This is a whole 8 month that we have to stay tuned for nothing. Did you really want to bring Cloud Firestore support to Unity ???

Y B

Aug 21, 2018, 1:56:02 PM8/21/18
to Firebase Google Group
Is it currently being developed, or is still on hold?

Matthew Pickard

Sep 14, 2018, 11:05:17 AM9/14/18
to Firebase Google Group
Just putting a plug in for Firestore support on Unity3D.  I need a cloud storage solution that doesn't need per-user authentication so my app can store non-user files.

Samuel Stern

Sep 14, 2018, 12:32:44 PM9/14/18
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
Hey Matthew,

Just FYI it seems like you may actually want Cloud Storage, which is already available in Unity:

Firestore is a database, whereas Cloud Storage is a file-storage solution.

- Sam

Alex Ferrier

Oct 8, 2018, 6:21:11 PM10/8/18
to Firebase Google Group
Whilst I appreciate Google doesn't give pre-production timelines, it would be great to know if this is still under active development.

Bridging the specific firestore access we need to Unity from Java/ObjC doesn't look like a huge task (to be clear, bridging the whole API into a production-quality Unity API _is_ a huge task, but we don't have to do that!) We're getting to the stage where we may consider doing so if FireStore Unity support won't arrive before 2019.

Simon Zimmermann

Dec 12, 2018, 10:53:17 AM12/12/18
to Firebase Google Group
Hello Ian,

I'm not directly asking for your roadmap, but can you confirm, the Firestore SDK will NOT ship before April 2019? I'm considering something like a community unitypackage project which bridges relevant functionalities from native iOS and Android SDKs then.

Thanks and best regards,
Simon

Simon Zimmermann

Dec 27, 2018, 5:03:15 AM12/27/18
to Firebase Google Group
Hello Alex,

I started to build on top of the RPC API of Firestore. Although the gRPC Library for Unity is in experimental stage, I didn't encounter any major problems so far. Once you're all set with the Protobuffer definitions you can more or less follow the gRPC Basics Tutorial for C# to get used to the API. Auth can be achieved by putting the Firebase JWT Token into the ChannelCredentials of the channel you're establishing.

I think this is the most elegant and future-proof workaround, considering all Firestore SDKs are based on the RPC API, if the language supports RPC (at least AFAIK), you get the benefits of gRPC (performance, bi-directional streams, ...) and you don't have to touch any native Java/ObjC Code.

Best regards,
Simon