Anonymization of IP addresses

Simon Richartz

Aug 24, 2016, 11:11:21 AM8/24/16
to Firebase Google Group
Hi all,

in our company we are currently discussing the usage of Firebase in our mobile apps.

The legal department stated the strong requirement that no un-anonymized IP addresses are stored. On Stack Overflow I have found the statement that IP addresses ar anonymized by default. (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/38261598/how-to-anonymize-the-ip-in-analytics-from-firebase).

Unfortunately I could not find any reference to this in the official support documents. Could you help me with a link or if that's not available with a statement regarding this?

Thank you very much.
Simon

Steve Ganem

Aug 26, 2016, 8:41:48 AM8/26/16
to Firebase Google Group
Hi Simon,

That's correct. Currently, all IP addresses are unconditionally anonymized and stored.

-Steve

Simon Richartz

Aug 31, 2016, 10:58:35 AM8/31/16
to Firebase Google Group
Hi Steven,

great, thanks for your quick feedback.

Best,
Simon

Kato Richardson

Sep 26, 2016, 4:37:05 PM9/26/16
to Firebase Google Group
Hi Simon,

Considering some developers who made assumptions about undocumented API behavior in the past, and run into pain points when it changed, I just wanted to throw in a couple thoughts here to help you make decisions.

Steve mentioned that we currently anonymize the IP addresses, but nothing guarantees that we anonymize these in the API design or terms of service. Given that it's just an implementation detail, you should be careful if you are trying to rely on this for any sort of legal compliance or to meet your company's privacy policies. The docs and APIs are updated frequently and you should keep an eye on them, as well as the release notes, for changes.

☼, Kato

Kato Richardson | Developer Programs Eng | kato...@google.com | 775-235-8398