Closing the Signin Popup: Error "popup has been closed by the user before finalizing the operation."

Laurent Senta

Sep 19, 2016, 11:32:04 AM9/19/16
to Firebase Google Group
Hi,

With firebase 3.4.0, when I call signin with popup then close the popup,
after ~30s I get:

firebase.inc.js:72 Uncaught Error: The popup has been closed by the user before finalizing the operation.(anonymous function) @ firebase.inc.js:72

I expected the promise.catch callback to be triggered with an `auth/popup-closed-by-user` error, according too:
https://firebase.google.com/docs/reference/js/firebase.auth.Auth#signInWithPopup

Same thing with firebase 3.2.0 too (I just upgraded because of this issue)

Am I missing some configuration?

Bests,

Kato Richardson

Sep 19, 2016, 2:43:57 PM9/19/16
to Firebase Google Group
Hi Laurent,

Can you provide a repro with steps and version info? Happy to look into this.

☼, Kato

Kato Richardson | Developer Programs Eng | kato...@google.com | 775-235-8398

Bassam

Sep 19, 2016, 5:20:44 PM9/19/16
to Firebase Google Group
Hey Laurent, in 3.4, the popup close error should trigger in 2 seconds with the error code auth/popup-closed-by-user. You should not get the behavior you describe.

Raven Bel

Sep 24, 2016, 1:02:46 PM9/24/16
to Firebase Google Group
I have the same issue with chrome on windows, have you solved it yet?

Bassam

Sep 24, 2016, 9:04:48 PM9/24/16
to Firebase Google Group
Hey Raven, I tested signInWithPopup with Chrome 53 and 54 on windows. It worked as expected.
As Kato mentioned, please provide detailed steps to help us reproduce this.

Thanks,
Bassam

Brandon Piner

Oct 8, 2016, 2:30:43 PM10/8/16
to Firebase Google Group
Hi I have seen this issue as well.

I was following the FriendlyChat tutorial. It works when I use the deployed version but when I try log in with the local serve then it get this error.

This is firebase 3.4.1

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 3:36 AM, Laurent Senta <lauren...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

With firebase 3.4.0, when I call signin with popup then close the popup,
after ~30s I get:

firebase.inc.js:72 Uncaught Error: The popup has been closed by the user before finalizing the operation.(anonymous function) @ firebase.inc.js:72

I expected the promise.catch callback to be triggered with an `auth/popup-closed-by-user` error, according too:
https://firebase.google.com/docs/reference/js/firebase.auth.Auth#signInWithPopup

Same thing with firebase 3.2.0 too (I just upgraded because of this issue)

Am I missing some configuration?

Bests,

Bassam

Oct 10, 2016, 3:35:25 AM10/10/16
to Firebase Google Group
Hey Brandon,
Can you describe in detail how this happens?
Are you signing in with popup and then after you sign in and the window is closed, you get that error?
In addition, what browser are you testing this in?

Brandon Piner

Oct 10, 2016, 11:20:18 AM10/10/16
to Firebase Google Group
I followed the firebase Friendly Chat tutorial step by step.
When I get to the end of this step the error occurs
Popup window appears. I select the account I wanted to use. The window closes and the error appears.
The log in failed.
I was using the latest release of Chromium on Lubuntu 16.04

Bassam

Oct 10, 2016, 1:52:24 PM10/10/16
to Firebase Google Group
Hey Brandon,
I just tested signInWithPopup using Chromium 52 on Ubuntu and I was not able to recreate this error.
The only thing I can think of is that it is possible the timeout delay is too short on some slow computers or networks. We could try to increase that.

Brandon Piner

Oct 11, 2016, 2:15:58 AM10/11/16
to Firebase Google Group
Hey Bassam,

Thanks for trying. The fact that it works when I deploy but not when serving locally makes me think that it is not the timeout but of course you're the expert here. Although the computer was a celeron so that is definitely slow!

Andreas Lans

Oct 19, 2016, 8:25:39 PM10/19/16
to Firebase Google Group
I have the same problem following the same tutorial. I get this when I try to login via google when serving the page locally as described in the firebase tutorial

Bassam

Oct 20, 2016, 3:03:36 PM10/20/16
to Firebase Google Group
One thing to keep in mind, an issue was reported in Chrome when 3rd party cookies and data was disabled, the popup request would time out and an error that the window was closed would be thrown. We are working on a better error for that case. Please ensure 3rd party cookies are enabled if you are using chrome.