Cloud Messaging: Access to legacy registration_ids in HTTP v1 API?

Sean Templeton

Feb 21, 2018, 10:45:34 AM2/21/18
to Firebase Google Group
Has the registration_ids field from the legacy API been completely removed in the new API?

I will need to send messages to a few users, with each user potentially having a few devices. For all intents and purposes the users to send to will be random and not known ahead of time so I can't create any groups in advance.

If I could use the registration_ids field in the HTTP v1 API I could just get the list of tokens for each of the users and send one message and be done with it.

If that's not available anymore then I'm guessing the replacement is groups? Are there any concerns if I don't use groups and just send messages individually to devices? Say 2 or 3 users with an average of 2 or 3 devices each? So around 4-9 individual messages instead of 2 or 3 group messages? I would be doing this several thousand times per day.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

Jen Person

Feb 21, 2018, 5:49:06 PM2/21/18
to Firebase Google Group
I would say for now, you can use either groups or sending to individual devices. If you use groups, of course the advantage is you're not making so many requests. But there can be a slight delay in delivery because of how those messages fan out. Individual devices might be faster, but if you had to send out messages to thousands of devices, I imagine the fanout of groups would be better than having to configure that yourself. Keep an eye out for updates to FCM. I'll hold onto this message so I can update you if something changes.