Is Firebase Cloud Messaging free for use in a commercial product.

Mobility

Sep 20, 2017, 10:09:59 AM9/20/17
to Firebase Google Group
I can't find anything in the terms which implies that FCM is free for commercial use. Can someone please clarify?

Samuel Stern

Sep 20, 2017, 11:07:20 AM9/20/17
to Firebase Google Group
Hi there,

FCM is free for all applications.  While we're on the topic of terms, we updated them last week so make sure you take a look again if you haven't read them recently:

- Sam

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 7:09 AM Mobility <mobili...@gmail.com> wrote:
I can't find anything in the terms which implies that FCM is free for commercial use. Can someone please clarify?

Kiana McNellis

Sep 20, 2017, 11:35:52 AM9/20/17
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
The pricing page has information about what is free as well: https://firebase.google.com/pricing/.  Currently, it lists:

Free Products

Authentication (except Phone Auth), Analytics, App Indexing, Dynamic Links, Invites, Remote Config, Cloud Messaging (FCM), Performance Monitoring, and Crash Reporting.

-Kiana

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 8:06 AM, 'Samuel Stern' via Firebase Google Group <fireba...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Hi there,

FCM is free for all applications.  While we're on the topic of terms, we updated them last week so make sure you take a look again if you haven't read them recently:

- Sam
On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 7:09 AM Mobility <mobili...@gmail.com> wrote:
I can't find anything in the terms which implies that FCM is free for commercial use. Can someone please clarify?

Thanks,
Kiana

Mobility

Sep 25, 2017, 9:17:34 AM9/25/17
to Firebase Google Group
My company's IPR department requires an explicit mention of free for commercial use, the terms currently mention what is prohibited to be done with Google APIs and not what is allowed to be done. We are also using firebase.js which does not mention the apache 2.0 license present in the firebase-javascript-sdk(source). Since the Google API terms of service cannot be categorized as an OSI license, I have been asked not to use the file firebase.js

Ian Barber

Sep 25, 2017, 1:10:53 PM9/25/17
to Firebase Google Group
The firebase.js bundle is built on the open source repository but may not be entirely open source code. The terms of service is definitely not intended to be an open source license - its a terms of use for our APIs and services. https://firebase.google.com/terms/ has all the details.

We can't offer legal advice here unfortunately, but it is worth noting that there are millions of businesses using Google APIs (which are covered by the terms) for commercial purposes.