Pre-Announcement: FIGkeys 1.1 PS/2 interface for £10.

Julian Skidmore

Nov 25, 2013, 8:47:25 AM11/25/13
to FIGnition
Hi folks,

Perhaps lots of people will like this!

Now that FIGkeys 1.1 has been designed and the firmware proved, I'd
like to gauge how much interest there is in buying the proper PS/2 to
FIGgypad interface. Here's the features:

1. Kit should cost <£10 +P&P to end customers (TBC).
2. Kit contains a programmed ATTINY24 + Cap + Shield headers + PS2 interface.
3. Build time estimate: <30 mins.
4. Keys are user-reprogrammable for different countries.
5. Four free I/O pins on the board.
6. Firmware is fully parallel FIGgypad output happens concurrently
with PS/2 input.

If there's over 52 people interested then the first batch of 100 is
viable. I should be able to order the full set of parts in the near
future and it may be possible (no promises) to deliver by Christmas!

-cheers from Julz

--

The DIY 8-bit computer from nichemachines™
FIGkeys1.1Email.png

bria...@tiscali.co.uk

Nov 25, 2013, 8:51:14 AM11/25/13
to fign...@googlegroups.com
Hi Julian
Yes count me in on a PS2 interface .
Let me know about payment.

Thanks
Brian

Michael Wills & Daniela Kaelble

Nov 25, 2013, 9:17:27 AM11/25/13
to fign...@googlegroups.com
Hi Julian,

will this work with any Fignition? If so we have 2 here so would definitely
be interested.

Michael

Pascal COURTOIS

Nov 25, 2013, 9:31:46 AM11/25/13
to fign...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I would buy 2 x FIGkeys when available......

Regards.

carl

Nov 25, 2013, 10:28:11 AM11/25/13
to fign...@googlegroups.com
Yes Please, I will have one.

Stuart Taylor

Nov 25, 2013, 10:29:16 AM11/25/13
to fign...@googlegroups.com

+1 here

Stuart

Julian Skidmore

Nov 25, 2013, 11:35:18 AM11/25/13
to fign...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

That's great so far! Will FIGkeys work with any FIGnition? FIGkeys has
an arduino shield format. It could be possible to rig a RevD to
FIGkeys, by connecting J5bottom J5top, J6top and J6bottom to the
FIGkey outputs. Conveniently (ish), the only other connection is close
to SW2. I suppose it's possible I could add solder pad to the FIGkeys
1.1 board to make it easier to connect to a RevD. I don't think I'd
support RevC though.

-cheers from Julz

Ron Hale-Evans

Nov 25, 2013, 11:49:29 AM11/25/13
to fign...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jules,

I want one, although I can't buy one right away.

Thanks for all your hard work and design.

Ron

Ron Hale-Evans ... rw...@ludism.org ... http://ron.ludism.org ... (206) 201-1768
Mindhacker (2011): http://ur1.ca/4iaey
Mind Performance Hacks (2006): http://ur1.ca/4iaf3

carl

Nov 25, 2013, 12:00:21 PM11/25/13
to fign...@googlegroups.com
there is a full revD method here, Julz will have to check that his connections are the same, but the principle is there.

revD1.jpg
revD2.jpg
revD3.jpg
revD4.jpg

JESSON SEAN

Nov 25, 2013, 12:04:05 PM11/25/13
to fign...@googlegroups.com
Hi Julian,

I've spectacularly failed to find time to put together a kit that I bought from Carl that does something similar. I feel that I should build the kit that I have got before buying something else - sorry!

If Robbie and I get the other kit working over Xmas then we may get one of your kits later.

Cheers,

Sean

Julian Skidmore

Nov 25, 2013, 12:31:45 PM11/25/13
to FIGnition

Hi Sean,

It's no problem, FIGkeys 1.1 is a collaboration with Carl and a few others anyway.

-cheers julz

Gregory Carlson

Nov 25, 2013, 3:15:46 PM11/25/13
to fign...@googlegroups.com
Count me in too.

Greg
> --
> <FIGkeys1.1Email.png>

Julian Skidmore

Nov 25, 2013, 3:31:51 PM11/25/13
to FIGnition

Hi Dave & others,

Google checkout has been shut down I'm afraid. This means that Paypal is the preferred method until I sort out an alternative :-) !

-cheers julz

Thomas Bjørn Andersen

Nov 25, 2013, 4:42:11 PM11/25/13
to fign...@googlegroups.com
Count me in as well :-)

/Thomas

Luke Crook

Nov 25, 2013, 8:07:42 PM11/25/13
to fign...@googlegroups.com
I'll take one.

Clive Brotchie

Nov 25, 2013, 9:52:47 PM11/25/13
to fign...@googlegroups.com
Count me in too please. Clive

juha kivekas

Nov 26, 2013, 3:18:53 PM11/26/13
to fign...@googlegroups.com
+1 for me!

David

Nov 26, 2013, 3:38:00 PM11/26/13
to fign...@googlegroups.com
Count me in please Julz.

david richards

Jul 17, 2014, 4:45:48 PM7/17/14
to fign...@googlegroups.com

Greetings all, I've got my FigKeys working now, its a vast improvement on the buttons and its even better than the Arduino serial input method because the response is much faster. I like the shift enter feature, Its easier than ^J.

One little problem however. I had already soldered the sil sockets onto my Fignition board in a way which is incompatible with the FigKeys connectors. I saved the day by having the FigKeys mounted on top of the fignition by using some long PCB pins I already had.

Ss watch out if you do as I did,m you may need to use some wires if you dont read the instructions before you start. In fact I don't recall there being any instruction on how to mount the Fignition SIL sockets, I just made it look like an Arduino.

btw, is there any serial interpretation available on the FigKeys software? it could be useful to be able to send keys from the PC etc.

I couldn't find an old PS2 keyboard but the Asus USB Model:62000C with an adapter plug is working just fine apart from the fact that its a USA layout. I don't understand the instructions how to remap the keys either but that's no great problem - I'm used it it like it is.

This is a picture showing the tiny monitor in use with Fignition, its non too clear, the monitor just doesnt have enough pixels.. The white lilne down the left appears on this and on an LCD TV monitor. DO other people see this line too?

hth David.

Neil Macmillan

Jul 25, 2014, 5:38:32 AM7/25/14
to fign...@googlegroups.com
Hi Julian,

Yes please!

If/when you get around to doing FigKeys 1.1, I'd like to buy two.

Best Regards

Neil

Julian Skidmore

Jul 25, 2014, 6:09:55 AM7/25/14
to FIGnition
Hi Neil,

FIGkeys 1.1 is the version that's been available for a while now :-)

There's a later thread which talks about it:

It's called 1.1 because 1.0 was the earlier version Carl and Oleg had been working on. I gather from that thread you've already bought one, but there are still some more in stock.

-cheers from Julz

FIG - black on whiteMini.jpg
NmLogoMini.jpg