Announce: Firmware Revision 1.0.1

Julian Skidmore

Jul 18, 2014, 5:10:34 AM7/18/14
to FIGnition
Hi folks,

I found a bug in d@ in the firmware 1.0.0 revision, so I've had to issue an upgrade.

AtMega328 (32Kb Firmware) FIGnitions should use avrdude to upgrade as normal.

AtMega168 (16Kb Firmware) FIGnitions should use the audio upgrader process described in section 4.5 of the release notes).

The bug affected floating-point scientific calculations since I use d@ a lot.

The distribution includes the new Scientific functions as described in:

FYI the accuracy result for the sin cos tan test is 1.000236e+00, which isn't bad!

For this Benchtest:

: BM8

  ." S"

  clock i@

  1000 0 do

    [ 1. >rad ]

    dliteral

    sin cos tan

    atn acs asn

    exp ln 2drop

  loop

  clock i@ swap -

  ." E"

  20 u* d. ." ms"

;

It takes 36.04s on FIGnition. On a ZX Spectrum it would take 720s ( I did a 100 loop test taking 72s); making FIGnition's Scientific calculations almost 20x faster :-)

-cheers from Julz

--

                  The DIY 8-bit computer from nichemachines™

FIG - black on whiteMini.jpg
NmLogoMini.jpg

Julian Skidmore

Jul 18, 2014, 5:12:08 AM7/18/14
to FIGnition
It would help if I included the new distribution!

-cheers from Julz
Revision1_0_1.zip
FIG - black on whiteMini.jpg
NmLogoMini.jpg

Si Brindley

Jul 22, 2014, 6:20:18 PM7/22/14
to fign...@googlegroups.com
Julz,
I just got around to upgrading today (directly to 1.0.1).
It went without a hitch.  As an aside, the latest avrdude works fine on OS X Yosemite DP 4.
My first attempt to load via audio was your FPDemo and it worked!  I used a single audio channel on my Mac mini.
For me the correct volume level was between 40 and 45, so of course I have set it to 42 ;)
- Si
Lorenz.mov

Julian Skidmore

Jul 23, 2014, 7:37:44 AM7/23/14
to FIGnition
Hi Si,

Hey, that's excellent! Just a little question, are you using PAL firmware or NTSC firmware?

It's worth comparing it with the same program running on different platforms, e.g. I converted it to Think Pascal for vMac and this is how it runs (attached).

-cheers from Julz

LorenzThinkPascal.mov
FIG - black on whiteMini.jpg
NmLogoMini.jpg

Si Brindley

Jul 23, 2014, 6:37:36 PM7/23/14
to fign...@googlegroups.com

It's NTSC because the cheap USB video-capture device I got for a few pounds on eBay has a chipset (fushicai) that has no native Mac driver.  I use an "experimental" build of http://www.bentrask.com/easycap/ which only supports NTSC.  I think I have also had it working with the FIGnition flashed to PAL… the lack of colour in the image certainly wasn't a problem ;)

To: FIGnition <fign...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Announce: Firmware Revision 1.0.1