Firmware 0.9.9 Release

Julian Skidmore

Mar 17, 2014, 6:53:01 PM3/17/14
to FIGnition
Hi folks,

The official 0.9.9 release is now out in the wild! There was a minor change so that key would work in hires mode.

https://sites.google.com/site/libby8dev/fignition

I've now started working on the fabled firmware 1.0.0!

-cheers from Julz

--

                  The DIY 8-bit computer from nichemachines™

FIG - black on whiteMini.jpg
NmLogoMini.jpg

carl

Mar 25, 2014, 1:20:59 PM3/25/14
to fign...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Julz, this works a treat!

So when I open a block to edit, do I still only have 511 bytes, or could  I keep going? where the len would be 511, there is now 25000 odd.

I love the tight fonts in the UDG demo too!

Carl.

Julian Skidmore

Mar 25, 2014, 1:41:18 PM3/25/14
to FIGnition
Hi Carl,

Hey, you've started to use it :-) ! You can keep going with the FIGnition editor beyond 511 bytes, though it will start to get slow at about 2500 bytes or so. Remember, if you edit a block and it gets longer than 511 bytes it'll save it to the next block number, so I would suggest providing gaps. For example, let's say your old source code was on blocks: 10, 11, 12, 13.

You edit block 11 and it gets longer than 511 bytes (but still less than 1024).  When you save it, the text will go to blocks 11 and 12 overwriting what was in block 12. The new editor will only save to as many blocks as it needs to store the text though, it won't write 25Kb just because the editing space is now 25Kb!

The T2E2 tool hasn't been updated on this release. It will still split programs into <512b blocks. The reason is because the intention with 1.0.0 is to be able to transfer the entire source code for a program in one go via audio so T2E2 won't be needed for that :-)

I was really pleased about the mini font demo. With a small amount of adaptation it can be modified to support (caps only) 4x6 fonts, good for game status information. A 64-char 4x6 font only takes 192 bytes in total :-) . Similar modifications would enable it to support fonts up to 16pixels wide, which in practice means up to 18point fonts. An 18-point font would require roughly 9x the RAM - almost all the RAM on an 8Kb RAM FIGnition!

-cheers from Julz

NmLogoMini.jpg
FIG - black on whiteMini.jpg