Introduction

Kat Duffy

Jan 8, 2016, 11:00:59 AM1/8/16
to Open State Project
Good morning, all.  My name is Kat Duffy and the I'm the new Labs Director at Sunlight.  I started November 30, so I'm still getting my bearings, but I wanted to let you know that Open States will continue to be a huge priority for Labs as we move forward.  As Miles signaled in the Fall, we've been a little short-staffed over the past few months and haven't been able to turn around fixes as quickly as we would have liked.  We're up and running, though, and our team is doubling down on Open States in January.

Don Lamb and Andy Lo will be working to clear out backlogged issues on Jira and commit fixes on GitHub, and I'll be monitoring this group as well.   Andy is actively fixing scrapers this week to ensure that they're ready for 2016 legislative sessions.  Don is responding to data quality issues on Jira.  FYI, we're prioritizing fixes for legislation in States with legislative sessions that are starting soon.  If you have an issue that is critical that's been sitting in Jira for awhile, let me know.  If, by chance, you see an issue on Jira that you know has been resolved, it would be a huge help to us if you could flag it.

My email is kdu...@sunlightfoundation.com if you'd like to get in touch with me.  I'm thrilled to be on board and excited about where we can take Open States as a community.  Don't hesitate to contact me with ideas, wish lists, concerns, etc.  We'll also be hiring in the near future, so if you're an Open States evangelist and are interested in joining Sunlight, reach out.

I'm stoked to be part of this amazing group.  Have a great day, everyone!

all my best,
Kat
Message has been deleted

Ryan

Jan 8, 2016, 2:25:53 PM1/8/16
to Open State Project
Hi Kat,

Thanks for the update. I'm thrilled to hear OpenStates will live on and be cared for by the team.  Great news.

Welcome!

Kory Payne

Jan 8, 2016, 4:08:48 PM1/8/16
to fifty-sta...@googlegroups.com
Same sentiments echoed here!

Kory Payne

Jan 15, 2016, 12:19:03 PM1/15/16
to fifty-sta...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kat et al,

With new legislative sessions getting underway around the country, what is the process for updating the API?

Thanks!

Andy Lo

Jan 15, 2016, 1:41:08 PM1/15/16
to Open State Project
Hi Kory,

We've been hard at work updating the scrapers to try to make the new session data available for as many of the states as possible.  I'm just finishing up on the bulk of the work today and should be posting a progress report on the 2016 preparations to the group at some point later today.