api.opencivicdata.org beta

James Turk

Dec 2, 2013, 10:47:57 AM12/2/13
to fifty-sta...@googlegroups.com, open-civic-data
We'd like to announce that the Open Civic Data API is now available for testing: http://docs.opencivicdata.org/en/latest/api/index.html

This API can be considered v2 of the Open States API, and represents the future of the project.  It currently mirrors all data available in the Open States API and can be used as a replacement with hopefully minimal code changes.

Bugs, regressions, feature requests, etc. are welcome here: https://github.com/opencivicdata/api.opencivicdata.org

New projects should strongly consider giving the Open Civic Data API a try, as we will eventually announce a deprecation timeline for the Open States API v1.  Old projects should be safe for a while.

While data will be maintained in both the Open States and Open Civic Data API for the foreseeable future, the Open Civic Data API is where all feature requests will be implemented.

What's new:
* support for non-state data, initially just several municipalities
* more uniform format for API calls/responses
* plethora of feature requests from the last 2 years of the Open States API including filtering on any field and more sort options
* new data and ID formats designed to be compatible with other sources of data, such as ocd-division ids that are being used in Google's new Civic Information API and Open Elections data

Eric Mill

Dec 2, 2013, 11:30:34 AM12/2/13
to fifty-sta...@googlegroups.com, open-civic-data
This is terrific, congrats on the launch! I'll switch Scout from using the Open States API to the Open Civic Data API soon - hopefully this week.

Nicholas Karl

Dec 4, 2013, 10:32:16 PM12/4/13
to fifty-sta...@googlegroups.com, open-civic-data
Hi,

I'm trying the following queries to get divisions for Boston.

but I'm getting a list of all divisions. I got the lat & lon for Boston off of google, so I expected only that.
====
{"meta": {"count": 100, "per_page": 100, "max_page": 225, "page": 0, "total_count": 22595}, "results": [{"countr ...
====

I'm probably doing something obviously wrong, but I haven't figured it out yet.

Thanks,

Karl.

Nicholas Karl

Dec 5, 2013, 10:37:02 PM12/5/13
to open-ci...@googlegroups.com, fifty-sta...@googlegroups.com
Cool, looks good (re the Lat&Lon issue)

Next one:

I got the division_id from the previously mentioned division call.

ID for Suffolk County is ocd-division/country:us/state:ma/county:Suffolk

Any thoughts?

Nicholas Karl

Dec 5, 2013, 10:40:55 PM12/5/13
to fifty-sta...@googlegroups.com, open-ci...@googlegroups.com

Nicholas Karl

Dec 5, 2013, 10:41:56 PM12/5/13
to fifty-sta...@googlegroups.com, open-ci...@googlegroups.com
{"meta": {"count": 0, "per_page": 100, "max_page": 0, "page": 0, "total_count": 0}, "results": []}

Mike Dupont

Dec 6, 2013, 1:27:03 AM12/6/13
to fifty-sta...@googlegroups.com, open-civic-data
I have my first patch for your, more are possible.
https://github.com/opencivicdata/api.opencivicdata.org/pull/3
> --

James Michael DuPont
Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova http://www.flossk.org
Saving Wikipedia(tm) articles from deletion http://SpeedyDeletion.wikia.com
Mozilla Rep https://reps.mozilla.org/u/h4ck3rm1k3

Jason Bennett

Dec 9, 2013, 8:53:34 PM12/9/13
to fifty-sta...@googlegroups.com, open-civic-data
I seem to be having some trouble pulling the data I need.

I want to pull a list of all state legislatures. Hitting the /jurisdictions search endpoint only returns 7 city councils. Is this a bug, or is there a better way for me to get this list?

jason

Sunny Juneja

Jan 22, 2014, 8:59:08 PM1/22/14
to fifty-sta...@googlegroups.com, open-civic-data

Hi Everyone,

I was interested in writing a Ruby wrapper around the new Open Civic Data API. I was planning to follow a similar style to the congress gem provided by Code for America (https://github.com/codeforamerica/congress) and the idea for this project was born from an issue on the ruby sunlight gem (https://github.com/sunlightlabs/ruby-sunlight/issues/7).

Would it be cool if I moved forward? Is there anything I should consider before doing so? Please feel free to email me via the list or personally.

James Turk

Jan 23, 2014, 11:52:05 AM1/23/14
to fifty-sta...@googlegroups.com, open-civic-data
This would be great.  The only thing thing I can think to be aware of is that the Open Civic Data API is still in beta and we may still make small changes going forward that might require small tweaks to your code.

Sunny Juneja

Feb 19, 2014, 6:52:35 PM2/19/14
to open-ci...@googlegroups.com, fifty-sta...@googlegroups.com
Hey Everyone,

I completed a ruby wrapper around the new civic data api. Take a look and let me know what you think.
https://github.com/whatasunnyday/open_civic_data

James McKinney

Feb 20, 2014, 1:53:07 AM2/20/14
to open-ci...@googlegroups.com, fifty-sta...@googlegroups.com
Awesome! Can you make the API key optional and the endpoint configurable? That way, the gem can be used with any Imago API (which is what is running at api.opencivicdata.org). For example, I'm running an experimental Canadian Imago API at http://imago-ca.herokuapp.com/ (the first request will be slow as the Heroku app needs to wake up). With those two changes, I could use the gem to query that endpoint, too.