New to the Group

Tidi

Jun 16, 2016, 3:23:30 PM6/16/16
to Open State Project
Hi everyone! I'm new to this group and wanted to introduce myself.

I joined because I wanted to get a chance to learn a bit more about OpenStates building process and see if I could help.

I'm a West Virginia native and resident, and I'm in the process of trying to create an online database that would use a foundation like OpenStates, but builds a bit more on it to focus as well on local representatives along with a few other features to help track personal approval ratings of representatives. I'm mostly interested in only taking on that task for my state because that is all I could handle.

I'm wondering if it would be better to team up with OS and build on the current WV section they have OR just source the data and go from there.

Does anyone know who I should talk to about this? Or any other advice? Thanks!

-Tiana

Kory P

Jun 17, 2016, 1:25:35 AM6/17/16
to fifty-sta...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tiana, one of the Sunlight staff probably emailed you already, but welcome the the project.

Whether you build on the OS/Sunlight platform or use the API would be a convo for Sunlight staff.

This list was more heavily used as OS was being built, and now it trends to default as a way to do bug alerts.

Still, once your project gets going, if you need help, there are probably people on this list who could/might be able to help.

Good luck

kory

Andy Lo

Jun 20, 2016, 11:02:00 AM6/20/16
to Open State Project
Hi Tiana,

Thank you for your interest in the project and feel free to ask any specific questions in this forum!  If you're building a state-specific site, the Open States API would probably be your best bet.  Currently, we don't support state-specific features on the Open States website as it's really mostly meant as a convenient way to view the data in our API.

Tidi

Jun 20, 2016, 8:48:33 PM6/20/16
to Open State Project
Thanks, Kory! Really appreciate it.

I've noticed that you have posted a couple of times recently about WV. Are you particularly focused on the WV Legislature?

Tidi

Jun 20, 2016, 8:53:32 PM6/20/16
to Open State Project
Thanks a bunch for the advice, Andy!

That's kind of what my team and I were leaning towards. I'm not sure if you are the person I should be asking or not (You are part of the OS staff, right?), but I e-mailed OS a couple of weeks ago asking for some advice on teaming up vs sourcing code, but haven't heard anything still. Do you think it would be okay for my team to move forward with just sourcing the API or would you recommend trying to send another e-mail? Thanks!

-Tiana

Andy Lo

Jun 22, 2016, 10:00:39 AM6/22/16
to Open State Project
I'm currently the primary maintainer on the Open States project.  Apologies if we missed your e-mail, but Sunlight receives a lot of requests and our resources are stretched rather thin right now.  Please feel free to use Open States as you need to help build your project though, and I'll try to answer any questions as I can.

Tidi

Jun 23, 2016, 5:50:14 PM6/23/16
to Open State Project
No worries. That's totally understandable. You guys are doing a great job! I'll let you know if we have any more questions. Thanks so much for all of your help! :)