Specify new OCD-based OSv2 API?

Ed Staub

Dec 27, 2016, 12:36:47 PM12/27/16
to Open States
When and where will the version of the [OCD API](http://docs.opencivicdata.org/en/latest/data/index.html) that will be the next OpenStates API, be specified?

For example, [the Post and Membership entities proposed in 2014](http://docs.opencivicdata.org/en/latest/proposals/0005.html), or some equivalent, are essential for my work; I need district, lifetime of post-membership, and parties.  I can't tell whether they're intended to be included.

Getting closer to a nailed-down spec soon (or if it exists, making it more visible to ignorami like me) might help speed up the OSv1 end-of-life, by enabling earlier feedback about needs.

It's important to state which fields, relationships, and entities will be reliably present, missing in some states+terms (perhaps due to inadequate scraper input), or optional.  Just saying "we're using the X entity from OCDv5" probably won't be very helpful in figuring out what's "missing" for a particular use-case.

James Turk

Jan 11, 2017, 2:26:25 PM1/11/17
to Open States
We're focused right now on bringing states back ASAP, but as soon as we have news to announce on the v2 API we'll make sure we open it up for feedback.

The point about which items are reliably available is a good one, as we move scrapers over we'll be doing an inventory of what we collect and what we could be collecting, we'll be sure to think through the best ways to make that more clear given the large degree of variance across states.