Future of the Open States project

Brady Swenson

Sep 22, 2016, 10:00:02 AM9/22/16
to Open State Project
Given the recent news about the Sunlight Foundation and the information regarding the database projects like Open States"We will discontinue our tool building and database maintenance activities, and encourage others to continue our most promising projects," Klein wrote. He said the group was "making necessary adjustments to staff in accordance" with the planned changes."

Can you all confirm for us that the Open States will be shutting down?

Can you give us a better idea of when this will happen?

If so, are you aware of any other projects that provide a similar service?

Very saddened to hear this news. We've relied on the Open States API to provide enriching data for our Legislative Tracker for several years now.

Thanks,
Brady Swenson
Director of Tech
Rewire

Andy Lo

Sep 22, 2016, 10:55:28 AM9/22/16
to Open State Project
Hi Brandy,

Some of the former Open States maintainers and Labs will be meeting to discuss potential avenues for Open States to have a future.  Unfortunately, at this time, a lot of things are in a state of limbo.  We'll let the community know when things have been hammered out.  In the meantime, LegiScan is probably the best, most directly comparable alternative that I know of.

Adam Sentner

Sep 27, 2016, 11:47:23 AM9/27/16
to fifty-sta...@googlegroups.com
I too hope that Open States has a future.

I was starting to use the API to pull data down when I heard the news. I compared Open States to Legiscan and determined Open States to have a more complete dataset, specifically with legislators, committee assignments, districts, district boundaries, etc...

With an API's collectively receiving 543,070 daily calls, I wonder if the community at large even knows this is happening. Has there been any type of community outreach to members with a registered API key?

Any idea who the former maintainers are? Is there a point of contact?

Thanks in advance!

Adam Sentner
Senior Product Architect
Walk West

James Turk

Sep 27, 2016, 11:50:35 AM9/27/16
to Open State Project
Hi Adam,

I was the original project lead and along with a lot of the other previous contributors/maintainers am currently putting together a plan to make Open States sustainable.

The announcement took us by surprise and there's a lot to figure out so we're still a few days away from having an announcement but we'll be making announcements here for sure in coming weeks.

Stay tuned, and if anyone wants to reach out feel free to email me directly.

John Bogil

Oct 20, 2016, 2:00:34 PM10/20/16
to Open State Project
Hi James,

Any update about the future of OpenStates?

Kory P

Oct 20, 2016, 4:31:31 PM10/20/16
to fifty-sta...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure where things are at either.  I'm working to set up the API on a server (django 1.6.2) which will
hopefully be ready soon.

If anyone is up for helping out, please email me at  kory....@gmail.com

Still bummed that Sunlight shut down, but we can all make it happen, there are enough of us!

kory