New contributors

David Gilhooley

Mar 7, 2016, 2:01:07 PM3/7/16
to Open State Project
Hello everyone!

My name is David Gilhooley and I am studying Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. I am president of a "Open Source at Princeton" and we are currently looking for a new project to contribute to. I think students would really appreciate contributing to the Open State project, both because of the project's direction and the fact that there are many students familiar with web development and web scraping.

With this in mind, are there any areas that we should look at first, or should we begin by claiming issues on the Jira tracker? Last year we contributed to OpenMRS and we had 5-12 students meet once a week to work on issues. Is there anything else we should do to introduce ourselves other than this post here and saying hi on IRC?

Thank you for your time,

David Gilhooley

Kory Payne

Mar 7, 2016, 6:46:46 PM3/7/16
to fifty-sta...@googlegroups.com
Very cool David!

You should hear back from Andy or someone at Sunlight right away.

Also, I have an open source community project you might be interested in.

I worked on this with friends a couple of years ago but want to redesign and make some changes.   http://sketchyst.com

If anyone out there is interested in helping with it, send me an email.

Thanks!
kory

Sent from my iPhone

Andy Lo

Mar 8, 2016, 12:07:55 PM3/8/16
to Open State Project
Hi David,

Exciting to hear that more people are interested in contributing to Open States!  Feel free to take a look at the issue tracker and tackle any issues you see fit.  If you need any help or have any specific questions, you can either continue posting here or reach me via e-mail at a...@sunlightfoundation.com.