Votes scraping for TN bills

Tim Lee

Aug 8, 2016, 7:55:52 PM8/8/16
to Open State Project
Hey All,

Is there a reason why votes data for bills from TN not scrapped? Here is an example of a bill from the TN state legislative website: http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/BillInfo/default.aspx?BillNumber=HB0142&GA=109

Along the top is the 'votes' tab but when I access the votes object, the API returns no information on any of the bills I'm tracking for TN. Does anyone have any insight into why this is or how we can alter the API for TN to access this data?

Thanks so much!

Tim Lee

Aug 16, 2016, 4:05:40 PM8/16/16
to Open State Project
Hey Hey, bumping this in the hopes someone can help out or point me in the right direction to fix.

Thanks!

Tim Showers

Aug 17, 2016, 3:12:18 PM8/17/16
to Open State Project
Disclaimer: I'm a third-party contributor, not with OS.

There's currently no votes scraper in the openstates code for TN.

Looking at the website source, those votes are a block of plain text that's inconsistently formatted, so writing an accurate scraper would be a challenge. If you'd like to try to tackle it, you can find the scraper code here - https://github.com/sunlightlabs/openstates in /openstates/openstates/TN/bills.py -- Look at other states save_vote() function calls for examples.

Tim Lee

Aug 18, 2016, 9:46:52 AM8/18/16
to Open State Project
Thanks, Tim!

That explains why there is no votes scraper for TN. I think I unfortunately can't tackle creating a good votes scrapper as I don't have any Python skills right now, but I appreciate the response.

Thank you!