Bill Outcome

Jonathan Hussung

Nov 2, 2015, 1:23:34 PM11/2/15
to Open State Project
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to openstates and need to select only bills that were not enacted. Searching through this group it seems like there was some talk back in 2011 about possibly adding a field to mark the current status of a bil but I can't tell that anything ever happened with that. Is there an easy way to tell if a bill has been enacted or not?

I've been looking at the actions and action_dates for various bills and they aren't making sense to me. Like lots of bills in Alabama (I haven't checked other states) show up as signed into law on their individual open states pages (eg 2013 HB 523 http://openstates.org/al/bills/2013rs/HB523/) but in the API their signed date is blank, and the last action listed is them being delivered to the governor. Is this a problem with the data? Or am I missing something?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Jonathan