New Metadata?

ca...@wevoteproject.org

Jan 5, 2015, 10:20:49 AM1/5/15
to fifty-sta...@googlegroups.com
For wevoteproject.org, we are using Openstates data for Nebraska, as well as data that we have scraped ourselves. The new session starts on Wednesday, and there is a new legislative body. The metadata still hasn't changed for Nebraska (with terms, sessions), and in the code it looks like this is hard coded in. Any idea when this will be updated?

Paul Tagliamonte

Jan 5, 2015, 10:36:20 AM1/5/15
to fifty-sta...@googlegroups.com
Hey there, Caleb!

We update the data as soon after the update of the official
legislative page as we can -- we're currently in the process of
bringing all the states back online as they come back into session.
I'll see if we can't get to Nebraska -- the issue is, if we update the
metadata, updated legislative data will be in the new session, and if
the new data isn't up yet, we're pulling in bad data.

If you're technically inclined, pull requests are welcome to bring
your state back online!

Thanks for using Open States!
Paul
> --

Paul Tagliamonte
Software Developer | Sunlight Foundation

ca...@wevoteproject.org

Jan 5, 2015, 10:44:52 AM1/5/15
to fifty-sta...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Paul.

This is the file I was looking at:
https://github.com/sunlightlabs/openstates/blob/master/openstates/ne/__init__.py
Would there be any other places that need to be updated?

The session starts Wednesday and bills will be introduced starting Thursday. They haven't updated the legislators on the state web page yet. Is there any risk in updating the metadata before that gets changed?